2017 Yamaha SCR950 Scrambler
Of all of the retro scramblers available on the market, this may be the most authentic of them all. Part of Yamaha’s new Sport Heritage line, the 2017 Yamaha SCR950 is a scrambler derived from a very unlikely machine—the Yamaha Star Bolt cruiser. That’s the kind of thing we used to see in the 1960s, if you can remember that far back.
The 2017 Yamaha SCR950 shares the same powerplant and basic chassis as the Yamaha Star Bolt, but by using different wheels, handlebars, seat, exhaust and rear subframe, the Bolt is turned into what Yamaha claims is a legitimate dirt-worthy scrambler.
Disappointingly, the Yamaha SCR950’s suspension is unchanged from the Yamaha Star Bolt C-Spec, and we would like to see more than 2.8 inches of travel from the piggyback reservoir shocks if we’re going to go off-road, but we’ll reserve final judgment until we ride the bike.
The ergonomics are sound, with high bars and the mid-placed foot controls. The seat has plenty of room to move around, and is helpfully flat. Even if it is limited in the dirt, the 2017 Yamaha SCR950 should be a capable machine on the deteriorated pavement you’ll see on back roads and in the urban jungle.
Yamaha claims the SCR950 is more than just a styling exercise based on the Yamaha Star Bolt, and we can’t wait to find out.
Read our Yamaha SCR950 Scrambler 10 Fast Facts.
2017 Yamaha SCR950 Scrambler Specs:
- Motor: SOHC 4 vpc V-twin
- Bore x stroke: 85 x 83mm
- Displacement: 942cc (58 ci)
- Compression ratio: 9.0:1
- Cooling: Air
- Fuel delivery: Fuel injection
- Ignition: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- Transmission: 5-speed, multiplate wet clutch
- Final drive: Belt
- Front suspension: Telescopic forks; 4.7 inches of travel
- Rear suspension: Dual piggyback shocks; 2.8 inches of travel
- Front and rear brakes: 298mm wave-type disc
- Front tire: 100/90-19
- Rear tire: 150/80-16
DIMENSIONS and CAPACITIES
- L x W x H: 88.6 x 35.2 x 45.9 inches
- Seat height: 32.7 inches
- Rake: 28.4 degrees
- Wheelbase: 62.0 inches
- Ground clearance: 5.1 inches
- Fuel capacity: 3.2 gallons
- EPA estimated fuel economy: 51 mpg
- Wet weight: 547 pounds
- Warranty: 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
2017 Yamaha SCR950 Colors:
- Charcoal Silver
- Rapid Red
2017 Yamaha SCR950 Price:
- $8690 MSRP
2017 Yamaha SCR950 Scrambler Photo Gallery