1991 Suzuki GSX-R 1100M Restomod Part III

1991 Suzuki GSX-R 1100 Restomod Part III | Chassis & Carbs
Chassis clean with new front end and engine installed

Since my last segment on my Suzuki GSX-R 1100 Restomod story, one thing has become abundantly clear to me – nothing ever goes according to plan. That is provided you have a plan of course. There have been a few minor changes and a few major ones too; but all in the name of improvement…

After sourcing the correct bearings for the headstock, the 2014 Hayabusa forks and triple clamps pretty much bolted straight on. I managed to find a complete front end with handlebars and switch gear. The set also included Tokico four-pot radial brake calipers. With the new forks on and the 1994 GSXR swingarm upgrade in place, it was time to organize some wheels.

1991 Suzuki GSX-R 1100 Restomod Part III chassis readyPresident of Ultimate Motorcycling and advisor, Arthur Coldwells had no hesitation in naming TAW Performance as the “go to” guys for such things. After speaking with owner Wayne Rodgers, we decided on a set of Marchesini forged Magnesium wheels in gloss black.

He said he would ship them out to me in the coming week. It was only a few days later that they arrived in what felt like an empty cardboard box. The wheels are exquisite and unbelievably light weight.

Unfortunately, the rear wouldn’t fit in my 94 swing arm upgrade. So it was off with the old swinger and on with a 2006 Hayabusa unit that is wide enough for the Marchesini 8-inch rim and also narrow enough to pivot in the frame.

The ‘busa arm went on the Gixxer without much argument. I had a few bushings and spacers machined to help convince it to fit. You really want to make sure the alignment is spot on when making changes like this, not only with the wheels but also the sprockets. This goes without saying, actually.

Having the spotlessly clean frame with new suspension and state of the art wheels, the GSX-R 1100 before me now added to my desire for completion. The image quickly led to a few late nights in the workshop to get things ready for the motor to be re-installed.

1991 Suzuki GSX-R 1100 Restomod Part III | CarbsI had a feeling installing the motor by myself was not going to be easy – but I was wrong. As soon as my wife fell asleep, I rolled up her prized Egyptian silk rug and took it out to the workshop. This would provide ample protection for the motor and frame as I laid the big lump of aluminum on its side, rolled the chassis in place, and then laid it over the motor.
All I had to do was push the mounting bolts through and tighten them up, lift the bike back upright and get the rug back in place before she noticed anything.

Next on the list was hunting down a set of carbs and getting the wire harness hooked up.

I must confess that I’ve been addicted to eBay for quite some time now, and I know a set of 38mm flat slide carbs fetch top dollar. The GSX-R 1100 has 36mm CV carbs as standard so the 38mm is a good size upgrade. Problem is they cost $1200 up. I eventually found a guy selling a set of 40mm Mikuni’s for a song, and after going back and forth over the details I discovered the seller owns an identical GSXR 1100 in standard trim. The 40s are much bigger than I wanted, but like I said, it never really goes to plan.

I will be working tirelessly over the next few nights servicing the carbs and plugging the now mended wire harness back together in hopes of a successful, first start up. Until then lets keep those fingers crossed that nothing catches fire!

Stay clicked to Ultimate MotorCycling for future installments.

For more:

1991 Suzuki GSX-R 1100M Restomod Part I | The Plan

1999 Suzuki GSX-R 1100M Restomod Part II | The Stripdown