James "Bubba" Stewart didn’t take the win at San Diego for the seventh round of the 2011 AMA Supercross series, but his podium finish placed him closer to the points leader, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto.
After finishing third behind the reigning Supercross champ Ryan Dungey (Rockstar Maktia Suzuki RM-Z450) and race winner Chad Reed (Two-Two Motorsports Honda CR450F), Stewart is now only three points behind Villopoto. This video shows Stewart’s reaction to the 2011 San Diego Supercross race.
Stewart got off the line with the main pack, just behind Trey Canard and Reed. But after Canard stalled out his American Honda CR-450F on lap 5, Stewart moved into second place. Canard was able to remount and re-start in third place.
The Haines City, Fla., native Stewart held the second spot until stalling his YZ450F during lap 15. Stewart moved back into fourth, allowing Canard to pass. But a few laps later Canard went down, allowing Dungey to take over second with Stewart in tow for third.
The riders held their position, finishing in that order behind race-winner Reed.
James Stewart (Yamaha YZ450F) says: "I just stalled it," comments to fastest man on motocross-wheels. "I’m trying my best. I don’t want to just throw it away like that, but I’m glad to get on the podium. I had nothing for Chad tonight, he was riding great, but I made up a lot of points."
2011 Supercross Results: San Diego
1. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
3. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
4. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
5. Davi Millsaps, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha
6. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM
7. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
8. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki
9. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM
10. Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C., Yamaha
2011 Supercross Point Standings (San Diego)
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 146
2. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha – 143
3. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda – 130
4. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda – 130
5. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki – 123
6. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM – 95
7. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki – 93
8. Davi Millsaps, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha – 78
9. Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C, Yamaha – 76
10. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki – 66