2015 Ducati Diavel Preview
Last year, Ducati unveiled its industrial development plan, which promised one new and three “family-extension” models.
The newbie was the Monster 1200, a model that caters to the naked sportbike craze that the model itself started in 1993. As for the family-extension models, Ducati released the 899 Panigale, the optimal entrance into the Superbike family, and the exclusive Superleggera, a limited-production (500) Panigale that produces over 200 horsepower and weighs 342 lbs. – the highest power-to-weight ratio of any production motorcycle (claimed by Ducati).
And on Monday, the manufacturer of Borgo Panigale unveiled the fourth family-extension model – the 2015 Diavel. The new Diavel, once again offered in the standard and carbon versions, was unveiled during the Volkswagen Group Night in Geneva. This show by Ducati’s parent company is a prelude to the upcoming 84th edition of the International Motor Show of Geneva, which runs March 6-16.
The 2015 Diavel now features the latest version of the Testastretta 11-degree DS (Dual Spark) engine, the same power plant used in the Multistrada and the Monster 1200 that produces 162 horsepower and 96.2 ft.lb of asphalt-tearing torque. Other new features on the 2015 Diavel are a new exhaust system, and some styling updates, such as a new LED headlight.
The wet-clutch engine derives from the Ducati 1198 superbike, but the valve overlap was reduced from 41 degrees to 11 for a stronger midrange, which is needed for real-world streetability. The water-cooled, 11-degree DS also requires 18,000 miles between service intervals, and is hooked to a six-speed transmission.
The 2015 Diavel arrives with all the latest technology – ABS, Ducati Traction Control, Ducati Riding Modes – wrapped in a 452-lb. (Carbon model) package. And of course, the Diavel – which is local Borgo Panigale dialect for “devil,” pronounced dee-ah-vel – arrives with the 240mm Pirelli rear tire that screams muscle.
And muscle is exactly what Ducati was after when it released the first Diavel in 2011. The bike, originally known as Project 0803, was designed to offer something different in the power-bike genre, which features bikes such as the Harley-Davidson V-Rod and the Yamaha V-Max.
The Diavel remained relatively unchanged until now. Following is a breakdown of the new features that highlight the 2015 Ducati Diavel and Diavel Carbon, along with specs and the US MSRP.
New to all 2015 Ducati Diavel models:
- Testastretta 11° DS engine
- Exhausts system
- Full LED illumination
- Headlamp cover and mounting
- Radiator covers
- Fuel gauge and side-stand TFT instrumentation icons
2015 Ducati Diavel Styling:
- Body: Dark Stealth
- Frame: Black
- Wheels: Black
- Silencers: Black
2015 Ducati Diavel Carbon Styling:
- Color 1: Body: “red carbon” (gloss red over matte carbon weave); Frame: Ducati red
- Color 2: Body: Star White (white over matte carbon weave); Frame: Ducati white
- Wheels: Black. Marchesini, forged, turned and milled to expose the natural aluminum
- Silencers: Stainless-steel silver
2015 Ducati Diavel (Carbon) Specs:
- Type: Testastretta 11°, L-Twin cylinder, 4 valve per cylinder, Dual Spark, Desmodromic, liquid cooled
- Displacement: 1198.4cc
- Bore x Stroke: 106 x 67.9mm
- Compression ratio: 12.5:1
- Power: 162hp (119kW) @ 9250rpm
- Torque: 96.2 lb-ft (127.5Nm) @ 8000rpm
- Fuel injection: Mitsubishi electronic fuel injection system, Mikuni elliptical throttle bodies with RbW
- Exhaust: Lightweight 2-1-2 system with catalytic converter and two lambda probes. Twin aluminum mufflers
- Transmission: 6 speed
- Drive: Front sprocket 15; Rear sprocket 43
- Clutch: Light action, wet, multiplate clutch with hydraulic control. Self-servo action on drive, slipper action on over-run.
- Ducati Electronics: DTC (Ducati Traction Control), Hands-Free, Riding Modes
- Frame: Tubular steel Trellis frame
- Wheelbase: 1590mm (62.6in)
- Seat Height: 770mm (30.3in)
- Max Height: 1280mm (50.4in)
- Max Length: 2257mm (88.9in)
- Rake: 28°
- Front suspension: Marzocchi DLC coated 50mm fully adjustable usd forks
- Front wheel travel: 120mm (4.7in)
- Front wheel: 14-spoke in light alloy 3.50 x 17; 9-spoke Marchesini on Carbon
- Front Tire: 120/70 ZR 17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso II
- Rear suspension: Progressive linkage with fully adjustable Sachs monoshock. Aluminum single-sided swingarm
- Rear wheel travel: 120mm (4.7in)
- Rear wheel: 14-spoke in light alloy 8.00 x 17; 9-spoke Marchesini on Carbon
- Rear tire: 240/45 ZR17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso II
- Front brake: 2 x 320mm semi-floating discs, radially mounted Monobloc Brembo calipers, 4-piston with ABS
- Rear brake: 265mm disc, 2-piston floating caliper with ABS
- Fuel tank capacity: 17l – (4.5 US gal)
- Wet weight: 239kg (527lb); Carbon 234kg (516lb)
- Dry weight: 210kg (463lb); Carbon 205kg (452lb)
- Instruments: Handlebar mounted instrumentation with LCD display: speed, rpm, time, coolant temp. Warning lights for: Neutral, turn signals, high-beam, rev-limit, DTC intervention, ABS status, oil pressure, fuel reserve. Tank mounted instrumentation with TFT color display: gear selected, air temp, battery voltage, trips 1 & 2, fuel reserve trip, average and actual fuel consumption and speed, trip time, scheduled maintenance. Full status and/or management of Riding Modes, DTC, RbW and ABS.
- Additional carbon-fiber equipment on Carbon: Tank panels, single-seat cover, front mudguard.
2015 Ducati Diavel MSRP:
- Dark: $17,995
- Carbon Red: $20,995
- Carbon White: $20,995
For additional information on the Ducati Diavel, visit ducatiusa.com.