2016 Valencia MotoGP Results
Since joining the premier MotoGP class in 2008 with Yamaha, Jorge Lorenzo became one of the top competitors in the series. He went on to win three titles—his first in 2010, followed by additional ones in 2012 and 2015.
But following nine years aboard Yamaha YZR-M1 machinery, he joins Andrea Dovizioso on the Ducati Team for 2017. The 29-year-old Spaniard had his final outing Sunday on the Yamaha at Valencia, the season finale of 2016 MotoGP.
First Lorenzo claimed the Valencia pole—his fourth of the season. He followed this up with a clean sweep of all 30 laps. This was Lorenzo’s first podium position since third at Red Bull Ring in Australia, and the fourth victory of the season.
Joining Lorenzo on the podium was the man who claimed the 2016 MotoGP Champion at Motegi, Repsol Honda’s Marc Marquez, and Ducati Team’s Andrea Iannone. Marquez finished 1.185 of a second behind in a lonely second, and Iannone 6.603 of a second back.
The battle for third was intense, but Iannone was able to use the top speed of his Ducati GP16 on Valencia’s front straight to claim the final podium. Rossi had to settle for fourth, 7.668 of a second behind, followed by his future factory Yamaha teammate, Maverick Vinales, who finished 10.610 seconds behind on the Team Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR.
Rounding out the top 10 were Monster Yamaha Tech 3’s Pol Espargaro, Ducati Team’s Andrea Dovizioso, Team Suzuki Ecstar’s Aleix Espargaro, Monster Yamaha Tech 3’s Bradley Smith, and Factory Aprilia Gresini’s Alvaro Bautista.
Crashing out were Repsol Honda’s Dani Pedrosa, LCR Honda’s Cal Crutchlow and Aspar MotoGP Team Ducati’s Yonny Hernandez. Due to technical issues, Mika Kallio suffered a DNF during the Red Bull KTM Factory Racing RC16’s debut.
The grid will remain at Valencia for the traditional post-season test this week. This will be the first shakedown for many riders who have switched teams for 2017, including Lorenzo on the Ducati Team.
Photos by Luciano Bianchetto
2016 Valencia MotoGP Results
1. Jorge Lorenzo, ESP, Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 45:54.228
2. Marc Marquez, ESP, Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) -1.185
3. Andrea Iannone, ITA, Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) -6.603
4. Valentino Rossi, ITA, Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) -7.668
5. Maverick Viñales, ESP, Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) -10.610
6.Pol Espargaro, ESP, Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1)
7. Andrea Dovizioso, ITA, Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP)
8. Aleix Espargaro, ESP, Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR)
9. Bradley Smith, GBR, Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1)
10. Alvaro Bautista, ESP, Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP)
11. Hector Barbera, ESP, Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2)
12. Danilo Petrucci, ITA, Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15)
13. Stefan Bradl, GER, Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP)
14. Scott Redding, GBR, Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15)
15. Jack Miller, AUS, Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)
16. Eugene Laverty, Ireland, Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2)
17. Tito Rabat, ESP, Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)
18. Loris Baz, FRA, Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2)
Mika Kallio, FIN, Red Bull KTM Factory Racing (RC16)
Cal Crutchlow, GBR, LCR Honda (RC213V)
Dani Pedrosa, ESP, Repsol Honda Team (RC213V)
Yonny Hernandez, COL, Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2)
2017 Valencia MotoGP Results | Photo Gallery