2017 Valencia MotoGP Qualifying Results
During Jorge Lorenzo’s final qualifying season at Valencia aboard the Movistar Yamaha MotoGP YZR-M1, the three-time MotoGP Champion set a new lap record en route to the fourth pole position of 2016. The future Ducati Team pilot Lorenzo posted a quickest time of 1:29.401, which shaved six-tenths of the previous record set by Lorenzo last season.
The only other rider to post with the 1:29s was Repsol Honda’s Marc Marquez. The 2016 MotoGP Champion qualified second, 0.340 of a second behind Lorenzo. Claiming third 0.727 of a second back was Movistar Yamaha MotoGP’s Valentino Rossi.
Heading up row two is the man who replace Lorenzo on the YZR-M1, Maverick Vinales. During the Spaniard’s final outing on the Team Ecstar Suzuki GSX-RR, Vinales finished 0.875 of a second back. He will be joined by Ducati Team’s Andrea Dovizioso and Monster Yamaha Tech 3’s Pol Espargaro.
Rounding out the top 10 were Ducati Team’s Andrea Iannone, Repsol Honda’s Dani Pedrosa, who returns from a shoulder injury sustained during Motegi practice, and the other Monster Yamaha Tech 3 pilot Bradley Smith.
As for the Red Bull KTM Factory Racing RC216, which makes its debut MotoGP appearance as a wild card, Mika Kallio qualified 20th.
Photos by Luciano Bianchetto
2017 Valencia MotoGP Qualifying Results:
1. Jorge Lorenzo, ESP, Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1:29.401
2. Marc Marquez, ESP, Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) – 0.340s
3. Valentino Rossi, ITA, Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) – 0.727s
4. Maverick Viñales, ESP, Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) -0.875s
5. Andrea Dovizioso, ITA, Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) -0.937s
6. Pol Espargaro, ESP, Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1)
7. Andrea Iannone, ITA, Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP)
8. Dani Pedrosa, ESP, Repsol Honda Team (RC213V)
9. Aleix Espargaro, ESP, Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR)
10. Bradley Smith, GBR, Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1)
11. Cal Crutchlow, GBR, LCR Honda (RC213V)
12. Danilo Petrucci, ITA, Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15)
13. Hector Barbera, ESP, Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2)
14. Scott Redding, GBR, Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15)
15. Jack Miller, AUS, Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V
16. Loris Baz, FRA, Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2)
17. Stefan Bradl, GER, Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP)
18. Alvaro Bautista, ESP, Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP)
19. Eugene Laverty, Ireland, Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2)
20. Mika Kallio, FIN, Red Bull KTM Factory Racing (RC16)
21. Tito Rabat, ESP, Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)
22. Yonny Hernandez, COL, Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2)