2015 Australia MotoGP Friday Practice Results
Though Marc Marquez’s chance to earn a third-straight title in 2015 MotoGP is over, the Repsol Honda RC213V rider shows no sign of slowing down.
Marquez made this evident Friday when he took the top time during 2015 Australia MotoGP Friday practice at Phillip Island – a circuit Marquez has never conquered in the premier class.
The circuit started out damp, but dried during the afternoon. Under optimal riding conditions, Marquez posted a best time of 1:29.383. To put this time into perspective, the Pole Record set in 2014 at Phillip Island is a 1:27.899 (Jorge Lorenzo, Movistar Yamaha YZR-M1).
Marquez finished the day 0.050 a second ahead of Lorenzo, and 0.135 of a second ahead of Team Suzuki Ecstar’s Maverick Vinales. All together, the top 13 riders were separated by less than nine-tenths of a second.
Marc Marques says: ”It was a good day overall. The morning session was a bit tricky because there was some light rain, but you could still go fast. In the afternoon we worked a lot on setting the bike up for the race, because it will be held at a similar time, and I think we took a step forward. Once again, Jorge is very fast, but we are working well, we have good pace and were able to set a good lap. What is important is that the changes we have made to the setup of the bike have allowed us to improve.”
As for Lorenzo, he will need to put in the extra effort to claim the 2015 MotoGP title. He and teammate Valentino Rossi are the only riders capable of taking this year’s title. Heading into Phillip Island – round 16 of 18 – Lorenzo trails Rossi by 18 points. As for Rossi, he finished back in ninth, 0.658 of a second behind.
Jorge Lorenzo says: “We have tried some settings, but in general we have a good basis. The track is very slippery, it‘s a lot worse than it was two years ago and last year. It‘s bumpier as well, but that‘s the same for all the riders. Our pace is very good, we just need to improve the acceleration a bit and some other details for tomorrow.”
Heading up the provisional second row is Ducati Team’s Andrea Iannone aboard the GP15; the Italian was 0.161 of a second off the pace as he looks to redeem himself from his first DNF of the season at Motegi due to technical issues. He was joined on row two by LCR Honda’s Cal Crutchlow (-0.196 of a second) and Motegi MotoGP race winner, Repsol Honda’s Dani Pedrosa (-0.493).
Rounding out the top 10 were Octo Pramac Racing Ducati’s Danilo Petrucci, Monster Yamaha Tech 3’s Bradley Smith, Rossi, and Team Suzuki Ecstar’s Aleix Espargaro.
Home favorite Jack Miller (LCR Honda) took the top Open bike position with 11th, finishing just 0.057 of a second of the sole American in MotoGP, Nicky Hayden.
There were no crashes Friday during the opening two free practice sessions.
For more, visit 2015 Phillip Island MotoGP Preview.
2015 Australia MotoGP Friday Practice Results:
1. Marc Marquez (SPA) Repsol Honda Team 1’29.383
2. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Movistar Yamaha MotoGP 1’29.433
3. Maverick Viñales (SPA) Team Suzuki Ecstar 1’29.518
4. Andrea Iannone (ITA) Ducati Team 1’29.544
5. Cal Crutchlow (GBR) CWM LCR Honda 1’29.579
6. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team 1’29.876
7. Danilo Petrucci (ITA) Octo Pramac Racing 1’30.021
8. Bradley Smith (GBR) Monster Yamaha Tech3 1’30.032
9. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Movistar Yamaha MotoGP 1’30.041
10. Aleix Espargarò (SPA) Team Suzuki Ecstar 1’30.113
11. Jack Miller (AUS) CWM LCR Honda 1’30.127
12. Nicky Hayden (USA) Aspar MotoGP Team 1’30.184
13. Hector Barbera (SPA) Avintia Racing 1’30.278
14. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) Ducati Team 1’30.451
15. Pol Espargarò (SPA) Monster Yamaha Tech3 1’30.552
16. Yonny Hernandez (COL) Octo Pramac Racing 1’30.660
17. Scott Redding (GBR) Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS 1’30.773
18. Eugene Laverty (IRL) Aspar MotoGP Team 1’30.910
19. Alvaro Bautista (SPA) Aprilia Racing Team Gresini 1’31.260
20. Mike Di Meglio (FRA) Avintia Racing 1’31.339
21. Stefan Bradl (GER) Aprilia Racing Team Gresini 1’31.577
22. Toni Elias (SPA) Forward Racing 1’32.122
23. Loris Baz (FRA) Forward Racing 1’32.309
24. Anthony West (AUS) AB Motoracing 1’32.592
25. Damian Cudlin (AUS) E-Motion IodaRacing Team 1’34.479