2015 Brno MotoGP Results
Spoiler Alert: 2015 Brno MotoGP Results from the Czech Republic Grand Prix listed below
The second half of the 2015 MotoGP Championship began last Sunday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Repsol Honda’s Marc Marquez retained his perfect record in the states. He earned a third-straight victory at Indy, and also his second-straight win of 2015 after a dominating performance at Sachsenring.
Marquez needed to carry this momentum into 2015 Brno MotoGP to keep a possible third-consecutive title in sight. The RC213V pilot was strong throughout free practice and qualifying, the 22-year-old Spaniard starting the race from second. But one obstacle plagued him – Movistar Yamaha MotoGP’s Jorge Lorenzo.
The two-time MotoGP Champion Lorenzo was the last Yamaha rider to win at Brno back in 2010. Since then it was all Honda, including Marquez’s win there in 2013. But Honda’s streak of Brno wins ended Sunday when Lorenzo smoothly rode to a fifth win of the season.
Marquez gave it all he got, remaining glued to Lorenzo’s YZR-M1 for half of the 22-lap race. But with 13 to go, Lorenzo garnered over a second of Marquez, and kept building this lead until he finished over four seconds ahead of Marquez. Third went to Lorenzo’s teammate, Valentino Rossi.
This was an important win for Lorenzo as he seeks a third title. Heading into the Czech Republic Grand Prix, Lorenzo trailed Rossi by nine points. With his win, he is now tied with Rossi, who has yet to lose the points lead since winning the opening round at Qatar. Rossi also continued his perfect podium record of 2015 MotoGP. But because Lorenzo won more races – five to Rossi’s three – he technically has the top spot in points.
2015 Brno MotoGP Results – Recap
Lorenzo was beyond impressive from the beginning of the Czech Republic Grand Prix, putting in impressive times during free practice. But things got drastically faster during qualifying; Lorenzo placed his YZR-M1 on pole with a record lap of 1:54.989, becoming the first motorcycle rider to ever break the 1:55 barrier at Brno, which began hosting GP events back in 1930 while still racing on real roads.
Lorenzo began 2015 Brno MotoGP strong, earning getting to corner one first followed by Marquez. Starting from fifth on the grid, Monster Yamaha Tech 3’s Bradley Smith charged into third pass Rossi, who qualified third, and Ducati Team’s Andrea Iannone, who qualified fourth.
When the shuffling was finished, the order up front was Lorenzo, Marquez, Smith, Ducati Team’s Andrea Dovizioso, Rossi, Iannone, Monster Yamaha Tech 3’s Pol Espargaro and Suzuki Ecstar’s Maverick Vinales.
Lorenzo and Marquez immediately began pulling away, as Smith slipped back behind the Dovi, Rossi and Iannone, respectively.
The 36-year-old Italian Rossi immediately began battling with Dovi, and got past his fellow countryman at turn 14 of 16 at the 3.36-mile Brno circuit. From there he would attempt to catch Lorenzo and Marquez, but though he matched Marquez’s pace, he couldn’t get close.
Lorenzo ran a perfect race, leading all 22 laps to finish 4.462 seconds ahead of Marquez. By the final lap, Lorenzo had caught up with the last-place finisher, AB Motoracing Honda’s Karel Abraham, a Czech Republic native.
Rossi finished in a lonely third, 10.397 seconds behind Marquez, and over two seconds ahead of Iannone.
Repsol Honda’s Dani Pedrosa claimed a hard-fought fifth after battling with Dovizioso to the checkered flag. Pedrosa was on pain killers due to injuring his left foot in a free practice 2 crash. During Brno FP2, Pedrosa’s RC213V blew a fork seal, and spilled some oil on the circuit. Rossi also got tied up in the slick conditions at FP2, experiencing his first crash of 2015 MotoGP.
Rounding out the top 10 were Smith, Pol Espargaro, Team Suzuki Ecstar’s Aleix Espargaro and Octo Pramac Racing Ducati’s Danilo Petrucci.
As for crashes, Aspar MotoGP Team Honda’s Eugene Laverty suffered a nasty high side on lap four, causing a DNF. Turn 11 also claimed to riders near the end – CWM LCR Honda’s Cal Crutchlow tucked the front end of his RC213V while in 10th, and Team Suzuki Ecstar’s Vinales did the same while running in 11th.
The 2015 MotoGP Championship now breaks for two weeks before heading to Great Britain for the British Grand Prix at Silverstone August 28-30.
2015 Brno MotoGP Results:
1. 99, Jorge LORENZO SPA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha 166.3 42’53.042
2. 93, Marc MARQUEZ SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 166.0 +4.462
3. 46, Valentino ROSSI ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha 165.6 +10.397
4. 29, Andrea IANNONE ITA Ducati Team Ducati 165.4 +13.071
5. 26, Dani PEDROSA SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 165.3 +15.650
6. 4, Andrea DOVIZIOSO ITA Ducati Team Ducati 165.2 +15.725
7. 38, Bradley SMITH GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 164.9 +21.821
8. 44, Pol ESPARGARO SPA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 164.8 +23.240
9. 41, Aleix ESPARGARO SPA Team SUZUKI ECSTAR Suzuki 163.5 +43.784
10. 9, Danilo PETRUCCI ITA Octo Pramac Racing Ducati 163.4 +45.261
11. 68, Yonny HERNANDEZ COL Octo Pramac Racing Ducati 163.1 +49.973
12. 45, Scott REDDING GBR EG 0,0 Marc VDS Honda 163.1 +50.174
13. 19, Alvaro BAUTISTA SPA Aprilia Racing Team Gresini Aprilia 162.8 +54.437
14. 6, Stefan BRADL GER Aprilia Racing Team Gresini Aprilia 162.8 +54.624
15. 76, Loris BAZ FRA Forward Racing Yamaha Forward 162.4 +1’00.316
16. 8, Hector BARBERA SPA Avintia Racing Ducati 162.4 +1’01.595
17. 69, Nicky HAYDEN USA Aspar MotoGP Team Honda 162.3 +1’02.388
18. 63, Mike DI MEGLIO FRA Avintia Racing Ducati 162.1 +1’05.944
19. 43, Jack MILLER AUS CWM LCR Honda Honda 161.8 +1’11.407
20 71, Claudio CORTI ITA Forward Racing Yamaha Forward 159.4 +1’50.033
21. 17, Karel ABRAHAM CZE AB Motoracing Honda 158.7 +2’02.655
25 Maverick VIÑALES SPA Team SUZUKI ECSTAR Suzuki 164.6 7 Laps
35 Cal CRUTCHLOW GBR CWM LCR Honda Honda 164.2 8 Laps
50 Eugene LAVERTY IRL Aspar MotoGP Team Honda 160.7 18 Laps
15 Alex DE ANGELIS RSM E-Motion IodaRacing Team ART 159.5 19 Laps
2015 MotoGP Point Standings (after 11 of 18 rounds):
|17||Loris BAZ||Yamaha Forward||FRA||15|
|24||Mike DI MEGLIO||Ducati||FRA||2|
|25||Alex DE ANGELIS||ART||RSM||1|
2015 Brno MotoGP Results Photo Gallery: