Ducati Superbike Podium Milestone
When the World Superbike Championship debuted at Donington Park in 1988, Ducati claimed its first podium. While piloting the Ducati 851 in race one, Marco Lucchinelli – the 1981 500cc GP Champion – earned second place.
Lucchinelli would go onto to win two races that season before taking over as Ducati Team Manager. The Italian’s Ducati Superbike performances in 1988 were the start of a long history of podium finishes for the manufacturer based in Borgo Panigale just outside of Bologna.
And on Sunday during round eight of the 2015 SBK Championship at Marco Simoncelli Misano Circuit, Ducati achieved a milestone 800th podium in race one with Aruba.it Racing – Ducati Superbike Team’s Chaz Davies at the controls of the 1199 Panigale R.
Davies finished third that 21-lap event at Misano, but the factory Ducati Superbike Team wasn’t finished yet; Davies’ teammate Davide Giugliano earned podium #801 for Ducati with a runner-up finish in the second race.
Ducati continues its reign as the winningest manufacturer in World Superbike, though top performances have slowed development continues on the 1199 Panigale. To date, Ducati has claimed 17 titles, 314 wins, 167 pole positions and 801 podiums.
Misano also has much significance for Ducati when it comes to SBK podium milestones; on home soil, Ducati achieved the 800th podium with Davies, the 700th with Shane Byrne (2009), and the 600th with Regis Laconi (2005).
Following are some of Ducati Superbike podium stats:
- Podium # 1, Donington Park 1988, (Race 1): Marco Lucchinelli 2nd.
- #50, Brainerd 1991 (Race 2): Doug Polen 1st, Stephane Mertens 3rd.
- #100, Jarama 1992 (Race 1)” Raymond Roche 2nd, Giancarlo Falappa 3rd.
- #200, Hockenheim 1995 (Race 1): Fabrizio Pirovano 2nd.
- #300, Donington Park 1998 (Race 2):Troy Corser 2nd, Carl Fogarty 3rd.
- #400, Donington Park 2001 (Race 1): Neil Hodgson 1st, Steve Hislop 3rd.
- #500, Silverstone 2003 (Race 1): Neil Hodgson 1st, James Toseland 2nd, Ruben Xaus 3rd.
- #600, Misano 2005 (Race 2): Regis Laconi 1st.
- #700, Misano 2009 (Race 1): Shane Byrne 2nd, Michel Fabrizio 3rd.
- #800, Misano 2015 (Race 1): Chaz Davies, 3rd.