2015 Oakland Supercross 250SX Results and Coverage
The first three rounds of the Monster Energy AMA Supercross Western Regional 250SX Championship series provided fans with some of the most intense racing action the class has seen in years. Round four in Oakland proved to be no different.
GEICO Honda’s Malcolm Stewart provided his team with its first win of the 2015 250SX season, eventually taking the win after coming around the first corner in 5th place. Stewart quickly made his way past several riders including Rockstar Energy Husqvarna’s Zach Bell to move into 2nd place. Stewart then set his sights on Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki rookie Chris Alldredge, who he was able to pass on lap three.
Not having an easy path to the win, Stewart would be passed by Red Bull KTM’s Justin Hill, but only for a short time as Hill went down in the sand section on Lap 7, surrendering the lead to Stewart. The Florida native maintained the lead for the remainder of the race to take his first victory of the season.
Malcolm Stewart: “This win means a lot. We didn’t start out as well at A1, but we got a 2nd in Phoenix and we just tried to build from there. You know what’s weird is that even though I got this win, it still doesn’t feel like I won because my brother is not here. I miss him so much and it is not the same without him.”
Series points leader Cooper Webb finished 2nd, after a 13th place start and facing some adversity along the way. The Yamaha rider wasted no time making his way towards the front as he was up to 7th place by the third lap. However, on the next lap, he came together with Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Tyler Bowers.
Bowers used his Arenacross-style aggressive riding to take the inside and collide violently with Webb, who was attempting to cut under Husqvarna’s Zach Bell. The North Carolina native remounted his machine in 12th place, only to charge back through the pack and make his way up to 2nd place by the end of the 250SX Main. Webb leaves Oakland with the championship points lead and will take the red plate into Anaheim next weekend.
A surprising finish came from CycleTrader.com/Rock River/Yamaha’s Alex Martin as he rode a smooth and consistent race to take his first-ever podium finish. The Minnesota rider benefited from a great start, as he was in 2nd place after the first corner and managed to stay out of trouble the rest of the way.
Bowers finished 4th on the night after a horrible start. The four-time Arenacross champion found himself in 17th place at the first corner and had to fight his way through the pack. After dropping his training partner and friend, Cooper Webb, Bowers maintained 3rd place position until a hard-charging Webb got around him. Bowers would stay in 4th place for the remainder of the race and maintains 2nd place in the championship standings.
Another surprising ride came from Rockstar Energy Husqvarna’s Zach Bell. After grabbing the holeshot, he was passed by Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki rookie Chris Alldredge. The two nearly collided in the third corner when Alldredge went for the pass on the inside and Bell attempted to shoot back to the inside. After struggling in the first three rounds, Bell’s top-five finish is his best so far this season.
Rockstar Energy Husqvarna’s Zach Osborne, Yamalube/Star Racing/Yamaha rookie Aaron Plessinger, Motosport.com Kawasaki’s Josh Hansen, Red Bull KTM’s Justin Hill, and Troy Lee Designs/Lucas Oil/KTM’s Jessy Nelson rounded out the Top 10.
Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Chris Alldredge is proving that he has the speed to run up front, but not the consistency to put together an entire race. The Oregonian looked poised to finish strong after a 2nd place start. He wasted no time moving into the lead in the third corner making his way past Zach Bell. Unfortunately, a crash on Lap 5 left Alldredge trapped underneath his Kawasaki KX250F. He was finished in 21st. place.
Monster Energy AMA Supercross Western Regional 250SX Results – Round 4 – Oakland
1. Malcolm Stewart – Honda CRF250R
2. Cooper Webb – Yamaha YZ250F
3. Alex Martin – Yamaha YZ250F
4. Tyler Bowers – Kawasaki KX250F
5. Zach Bell – Husqvarna FC 250
6. Zach Osborne – Husqvarna FC 250
7. Aaron Plessinger – Yamaha YZ250F
8. Josh Hansen – Kawasaki KX250F
9. Justin Hill – KTM 250 SX-F Factory Edition
10. Jessy Nelson – KTM 250 SX-F Factory Edition
11. Shane McElrath – KTM 250 SX-F Factory Edition
12. Zack Freeburg – Yamaha YZ250F
13. Scott Champion – Yamaha YZ250F
14. Jackson Richardson – Honda CRF250R
15. Cole Martinez – Yamaha YZ250F
16. Tommy Hahn – Honda CRF250R
17. Austin Politelli – Yamaha YZ250F
18. Trevor Reis – Yamaha YZ250F
19. Brandon Scharer – Suzuki RM-Z250
20. Nico Izzi – Yamaha YZ250F
21. Chris Alldredge – Kawasaki KX250F
22. Aaron Siminoe – Kawasaki KX250F
2015 Monster Energy AMA Supercross Western Regional 250SX Season Standings
1. Cooper Webb, Newport, N.C., Yamaha, 86
2. Tyler Bowers, Corona, Calif., Kawasaki, 78
3. Jessy Nelson, Paso Robles, Calif., KTM, 71
4. Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Husqvarna, 69
5. Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., KTM, 65
6. Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Honda, 64
7. Aaron Plessinger, Hamilton, Ohio, Yamaha, 54
8. Shane McElrath, Canton, N.C., KTM, 49
9. Alex Martin, Millville, Minn., Yamaha, 47
10. Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki, 47