2014 Ulster Grand Prix Qualifying Results
The Ulster Grand Prix is underway near Belfast in Northern Ireland, the third and final major international road race of 2014 along with the North West 200 and the Isle of Man TT.
And one man is looking to add to his six wins and 12 podiums at the 7.41-mile Dundrod Circuit, known as the world’s fastest road-racing circuit with an average speed of 133.977 – Michael Dunlop.
This year the 11-time Isle of Man TT winner will compete aboard BMW S1000RR Hawk Racing machinery in both the Superbike and Superstock races. And the 25-year-old is already up to speed.
During qualifying Thursday, Dunlop secured the pole position for Saturday’s Metzeler Superstock Ulster Grand Prix race after becoming the only rider to set a 130mph+ lap. He also qualified fourth in the Superbike sessions behind pole-sitter Bruce Anstey, the Honda pilot who holds the outright lap record at the Isle of Man TT.
Dunlop’s time in Superstock qualifying was a 130.469 mph lap, but in the final seconds of Thursday’s Qualifying 2 session he improved on his own best time with an outstanding 131.657 mph lap.
In addition, Dunlop set the fourth fastest time on his BMW S 1000 RR Superbike during Thursday’s sessions.
Speaking of qualifying, Hawk Racing BMW says “Michael used the time on the famous Dundrod circuit to refine the setup on his TT-winning bike, making a number of pit stops to adjust settings to ensure he has the best chance of winning at the world’s fastest road racing track.”
The Superstock and Superbike races occur Saturday; stay clicked to UltimateMotorCycling.com for results.
2014 Ulster Grand Prix Superbike Combined Qualifying:
1) Bruce Anstey (Padgetts Honda) 133.163 mph
2) Guy Martin (Tyco Suzuki) 132.800 mph
3) William Dunlop (Tyco Suzuki) 132.045 mph
4) Michael Dunlop (BMW Motorrad / Hawk Racing) 131.683 mph
5) Lee Johnston (Pirtek Honda) 131.670 mph
2014 Ulster Grand Prix Superstock Qualifying:
1) Michael Dunlop (BMW Motorrad / Hawk Racing) 131.657 mph
2) Dean Harrison (RC Kawasaki) 129.769 mph
3) Guy Martin (Tyco Suzuki) 129.605 mph
4) Lee Johnston (Pirtek Honda) 129.263 mph
5) Dan Kneen (Cookstown Suzuki) 129.197 mph