2014 Assen Moto2 Thursday Results
The Moto2 field is back in Northern Europe this weekend for round eight of the Moto2 World Championship at the TT Circuit Assen.
Tito Rabat is focused on extending his lead at the top of the Moto2 World Championship standings in the race on Saturday. His win at the last round in Catalunya means the 25-year-old Spaniard currently has a 34-point advantage over his Marc VDS teammate, Mika Kallo, who sits second in the standings.
Rabat ended the opening day at Assen at the top of the time sheets, after posting his fastest time late in Thursday’s second free practice session, though not without difficulty.
“Today has been quite hard and the lap time didn’t come so easy. We need to do a lot of work, especially in the final sector where I’m losing a little bit of time at the moment. We need to find some improvements, like always, but I think it’s going to be a very hard weekend,” reported Rabat.
Rookie Sam Lowes chalked up the second fastest time of the day, 0.081s behind leader Rabat. Technomag carXpert Dominique Aegerter was third fastest overall – the test run on a Avintia Racing’s MotoGP machine at the post-Barcelona race test having boosted the Swiss rider’s confidence.
Riding the track for the very first time, sole American rider Josh Herrin got to work, demonstrating his ability to learn a new circuit quickly and improve his times.
“I’m really pleased with how both practice sessions went today. The goal for FP1 was to do a low 1.41 lap time and we ended up doing a 1.39. Then in the afternoon the target was to improve again on this, which I did.
“I feel like I’m back to how I should have been all year. I’m more comfortable on the bike now and I’m excited to ride. I think staying in Europe between the races has really helped as it’s allowed me to get into a rhythm and do a lot more training which I feel is starting to have a good effect.”
2014 Assen Combined Free Practice times from Thursday:
1. Esteve Rabat SPA Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 37.869s
2. Sam Lowes GBR Speed Up (Speed Up) 1m 37.950s
3. Dominique Aegerter SWI Technomag carXpert (Suter) 1m 38.037s
4. Jonas Folger GER AGR Team (Kalex) 1m 38.279s
5. Jordi Torres SPA Mapfre Aspar Team Moto2 (Suter) 1m 38.319s
6. Johann Zarco FRA AirAsia Caterham (Caterham Suter) 1m 38.352s
7. Sandro Cortese GER Dynavolt Intact GP (Kalex) 1m 38.394s
8. Mika Kallio FIN Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 38.452s
9. Ricard Cardus SPA Tech 3 (Tech 3) 1m 38.501s
10. Luis Salom SPA Paginas Amarillas HP 40 (Kalex) 1m 38.531s
11. Xavier Simeon BEL Federal Oil Gresini Moto2 (Suter) 1m 38.569s
12. Maverick Viñales SPA Paginas Amarillas HP 40 (Kalex) 1m 38.602s
13. Julian Simon SPA Italtrans Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 38.636s
14. Mattia Pasini ITA NGM Forward Racing (Kalex) 1m 38.671s
15. Simone Corsi ITA NGM Forward Racing (Kalex) 1m 38.816s
16. Thomas Luthi SWI Interwetten Paddock Moto2 (Suter) 1m38.859s
17. Alex De Angelis RSM Tasca Racing Moto2 (Suter) 1m 38.864s
18. Takaaki Nakagami JPN IDEMITSU Honda Team Asia (Kalex) 1m 38.881s
19. Marcel Schrotter GER Tech 3 (Tech 3) 1m 38.988s
20. Axel Pons SPA AGR Team (Kalex) 1m 38.995s
21. Nicolas Terol SPA Mapfre Aspar Team Moto2 (Suter) 1m 39.089s
22. Randy Krummenacher SWI Octo IodaRacing Team (Suter) 1m 39.231s
23. Franco Morbidelli ITA Italtrans Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 39.247s
24. Louis Rossi FRA SAG Team (Kalex) 1m 39.319s
25. Anthony West AUS QMMF Racing Team (Speed Up) 1m 39.326s
26. Josh Herrin USA AirAsia Caterham (Caterham Suter) 1m 39.333s
27. Hafizh Syahrin MAL Petronas Raceline Malaysia (Kalex) 1m 39.539s
28. Azlan Shah MAL IDEMITSU Honda Team Asia (Kalex) 1m 39.767s
29. Gino Rea GBR AGT REA Racing (Suter) 1m 39.797s
30. Lorenzo Baldassarri ITA Gresini Moto2 (Suter) 1m 39.973s
31. Tetsuta Nagashima JPN Teluru Team JiR Webike (TSR) 1m 40.313s
32. Robin Mulhauser SWI Technomag carXpert (Suter) 1m 40.406s
33. Roman Ramos SPA QMMF Racing Team (Speed Up) 1m 40.607s
34. Thitipong Warokorn THA APH PTT The Pizza SAG (Kalex) 1m 41.105s