2014 Aragon Superbike Superpole Results – Kawasaki’s Sykes on Pole
2014 Aragon World Superbike Superpole Qualifying Results
The reigning World Superbike Champion, Kawasaki Racing Team’s Tom Sykes, earned Saturday his first Superpole of the season at Spain’s Motorland Aragon.
Sykes, who finished 7-3 at the Phillip Island SBK season opener, will be joined on the front row by teammate Loriz Baz and the current points leader, Aprilia Racing Team’s Sylvain Guintoli. Baz finished 0.196 of a second back, and Guintili 0.290 of a second behind.
Heading up the second row is Ducati Superbike Team’s Davide Giugliano. Joining Giugliano on the second row will be the man who led Friday’s practice sessions, Pata Honda World Superbike’s Jonathan Rea, and the man who doubled at Aragon last season, Ducati World Superbike’s Chaz Davies.
Aprilia Racing Team’s Marco Melandri heads up the third row; the Italian was the final rider to post within a second of Sykes. He will be joined on row three by the Voltcom Suzuki duo of Eugene Laverty and Alex Lowes.
The two riders that made it from Superpole 1 to the 15-minute Superpole 2 shootout, Red Devils Aprilia’s Toni Elias and BMW Motorrad’s Leon Camier – the top EVO bike – qualified 10th and 11th, respectively. The will be joined on the fourth row by Pata Honda World Superbike’s Leon Haslam.
Haslam, along with Davies, crashed in the Superpole 2 session, but both walked away uninjured.
The riders return to Spain’s Motorland Aragon Sunday for the second double-header of 2014 World Superbike.
As for the American Team Hero EBR racing riders, Aaron Yates and Geoff May didn’t make Superpole, both qualifying over five seconds off Sykes’ time. They will start Sunday’s race from the back of the grid.
In other World SBK news, the Russian round at Moscow Raceway was canceled Saturday. Read the report here – Moscow Raceway World Superbike Canceled.
2014 Aragon World Superbike Superpole Results:
- Tom Sykes, Kawasaki Racing Team ZX-10R
- Loris Baz, Kawasaki Racing Team ZX-10R
- Sylvain Guintoli, Aprilia Racing Team RSV4
- Davide Giugliano, Ducati Superbike Team 1199 Panigale R
- Jonathan Rea, Pata Honda World Superbike CBR1000RR
- Chaz Davies, Ducati Superbike Team 1199 Panigale R
- Marco Melandri, Aprilia Racing Team RSV4
- Eugene Laverty, Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R 1000
- Alex Lowes, Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R 1000
- Toni Elias, Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4
- Leon Camier, BMW Motorrad Italia S1000RR
- Leon Haslam, Pata Honda World Superbike CBR1000RR
- Niccolo Canepa, Althea Racing Ducati 1199 Panigale R
- Davide Salom, Kawasaki Racing Team ZX-10R
- Ayrton Badovini, Team Alstare Bimota BB3 EVO
- Claudio Corti, MV Agusta RC-Yakhnich M F4RR
- S. Morais, Rion Brain Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R
- C. Iddon, Team Alstare Bimota BB3 EVO
- Michel Fabrizios, Iron Brain Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R
- J. Guarnoni, MRS Kawasaki ZX-10R