2013 Magny-Cours World Superbike Friday Qualifying Results
Though the threat of rain was present at Magny-Cours, the 19-rider World Superbike grid was quickly up to speed Friday during the first qualifying session for the penultimate round of the 2013 season.
And setting the pace was the home favorite, Aprilia Racing Team’s Sylvain Guintoli. The RSV4 pilot was the only rider to break the 1:38 barrier, Guintoli posting a 1:38.709 around the 4.41-mile circuit containing 20 corners.
Guintoli was 0.386 of a second quicker than the current World SBK points leader, Kawasaki Racing Team’s Tom Sykes (ZX-10R Ninja), and 0.669 of a second quicker than BMW Motorrad GoldBet’s Chaz Davies (S1000RR).
Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing RSV4 Superbike) says: “Today was a good day for us, not only because of the best time in the qualifiers but above all because of the feeling I have with my RSV4 here at Magny-Cours.
“I did my fast lap on a ten-lap old tire and that means that we are definitely moving in the right direction. I want to focus on riding and being fast in every session. The first day went well, but what happens on Sunday is what counts!”
Davies finished ahead of FIXI Crescent Suzuki’s Jules Cluzel and Guintoli’s teammate Eugene Laverty, the Brit who split a win with Sykes at Laguna Seca last weekend.
Laverty spent most of the session around 10th, but was able to reach fifth by the end of Friday’s Q1 session.
The eight-time World Endurance Champion Vincent Philippe, who recently took the 2013 WEC title with the Suzuki Endurance Racing Team, finished seventh during his day aboard the FIXI Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000. Philippe is riding for the injured Leon Camier.
Rounding out the top 10 Friday were BMW Motorrad GoldBet’s Marco Melandri, Pata Honda World Superbike’s Michel Fabrizio (CBR1000RR Fireblade), and Team Ducati Alstare’s Michele Pirro (1199 Panigale), the Ducati test team rider who made his debut WSBK appearance Friday.
The riders will return to Magny-Cours Saturday for another round of practice/qualifying sessions ahead of Superpole.
2013 Magny-Cours World Superbike Qualifying 1 Results:
1. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’38.709
2. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’39.095
3. Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1’39.378
4. Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1’39.380
5. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’39.451
6. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’39.549
7. Vincent Philippe (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1’39.579
8. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1’39.678
9. Michel Fabrizio (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1’39.799
10. Michele Pirro (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale 1’39.821
11. David Salom (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’40.085
12. Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1’40.202
13. Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale 1’40.263
14. Lorenzo Lanzi (Mesaroli Transports A.S.) Ducati 1098R 1’40.352
15. Toni Elias (Red Devils Roma) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’40.483
16. Mark Aitchison (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’41.137
17. Federico Sandi (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’41.281
18. Fabrizio Lai (MR-Racing) Ducati 1199 1’42.474
19. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Grillini Dentalmatic SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1’43.180