BMW Motorrad is synonymous with adventure-sports motorcycles; a category it created in 1980 with the original R 80 G/S and continues to dominate after over three decades.In the first half of 2013, the new water-cooled R 1200 GS has been the top selling adventure-sports model with 1,025 sold, as well as becoming the UK’s best-selling motorcycle over 125cc. The air-cooled R 1200 GS Adventure sits in second place with 453 sold. Strong sales of the new F 800 GS Adventure and F 700 GS, as well as the A2-class legal G 650 GS and G 650 GS Sertao, which are ideal for the new motorcycle licence category, have seen BMW Motorrad take a huge 30 per cent share of the sector.In the touring category, BMW’s new-for-2013 F 800 GT has narrowly beaten the hugely-popular BMW R 1200 RT to become the best-selling touring motorcycle in the UK, with 299 and 293 sold respectively.The addition of the new F 800 GT to the range has reinforced BMW Motorrad’s traditional dominance of the touring category, with four of the top five best-selling models bearing a BMW badge. Effectively this means that one in every two touring motorcycles sold in the UK are BMWs, with BMW Motorrad holding a fifty percent market share.Strong sales in both the adventure-sports and touring sectors, along with the new HP4, F 800 GS Adventure and the new F 700 GS, have seen BMW Motorrad’s sales grow by 6 percent, from 3,372 in 2012 to 3,573 in 2013. As a result, BMW Motorrad’s UK market share over 500cc has grown from 14.4 per cent to 16 percent.Lee Nicholls (Marketing Manager for BMW Motorrad UK) says: “We are very pleased to be showing growth of both market share and total sales, especially in a challenging market. Strong sales of models like BMW’s new HP4 supersports bike and our dominance of the traditionally strong touring and adventure-sports sectors, helping to increase our overall market share once again. BMW Motorrad leads the way in motorcycle innovation and our customers are endorsing this with increasing sales.“In addition to improved sales and market share, the BMW Motorrad dealer network continues to grow. Not only have a number of existing motorcycle franchises shown their faith in the brand by opening additional dealerships in new locations, but some of our leading car dealerships are investing in BMW Motorrad by building brand new motorcycle showrooms.”UK BMW Motorcycle Sales highlights at a glance:
- The BMW R 1200 GS is the UK’s best-selling motorcycle over 125cc (1,025).
- First and second best-selling adventure sports motorcycles are the BMW R 1200 GS (1,025) and BMW R 1200 GS Adventure (453).
- BMW Motorrad has a 30 percent share of the adventure-sports sector.
- The BMW F 800 GT (299) and BMW R 1200 RT (293) are the best and second-best selling touring motorcycles, with the BMW K 1600 GT and BMW K 1600 GT fourth and fifth respectively.
- BMW Motorrad has 50 percent market share of the touring sector.
- BMW Motorrad sales are up 6 percent compared to this time in 2012 (3,372 to 3,573)
- BMW Motorrad’s motorcycle share over 500cc has increased from 14.4 per cent to 16 percent.