Motus Motorcycle News
Motus, the only creator of American V4 sportbikes, debuted its MST and MST R production motorcycles during the Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca last weekend.
What better place to debut a high-horsepower American machine where MotoGP greats like Valentino Rossi and Marc Marquez were present?
It may not be MotoGP horsepower, but the higher-performance MST-R version is equal to some of the most-powerful motorcycles on the market, including the BMW S100RR. But the MST and MST R aren’t full sportbikes; rather, the MSTs are considered sport-touring motorcycles. Both feature Motus’ MV4 Baby Block, a 1650cc 90-degree V4. The MST R has a more radical engine design that produces 180 horsepower at 7800 rpm and 120 ft. lbs. of torque at 6600 rpm. As for the standard MST, it’s not slouch. It produces 160 horsepower at 7400 rpm, and 120 ft. lbs. of torque at 5800 rpm.
Besides the engine, the Motus MST series also feature a lightweight chassis with race-spec Ohlins suspension components, and lightweight OZ aluminum wheels (MST) and BST carbon-fiber wheels (MST R). With these top-notch chassis enhancements, and Brembo brakes, the bikes are ready to take on canyon carving or the highway drone.
Brian Case (Co-Founder and Director of Design for Motus) says: “As street riders, we wanted the Motus to offer an unparalleled experience from 20-90 mph, where we do almost all our riding.
“With a quick sprocket change, the MSTs are geared for 204 mph top speed, but the focus has been on making massive torque in a usable street range, from 2500 rpm to 7500 rpm. We also built in a sensible riding position, adjustable windscreen and controls, and other accommodations for longer rides.”
Motus now has 16 dealers from Seattle to Miami, and expects to grow the network with additional dealers in the Midwest, the Northeast, and of course the mecca of American motorcycling, Southern California.
Motus says commercial and retail financing is in place, motorcycle insurance is commonly available, and the MSTs offer a competitive 2-year, unlimited mileage warranty. 2014 MST’s and MSTR’s will begin shipping this fall to dealers and customers reserving them now.
Lee Conn (Co-Founder and Motus President) says: “While we are a small, growing company, our products offer a unique and compelling experience for riders and dealers. For riders, the Motus is a premium high performance sportbike with an incredible amount of character and value. For dealers, Motus makes a great addition to other premium lines as it does not compete with mass produced motorcycles and brings in new customers looking for something that did not exist until now.”
To schedule a test ride, call your closest Motus dealer and request a slot for a very limited number of factory sponsored demo rides this fall and winter. All Motus dealers are accepting reservations on their limited allocation of 2014 MSTs now.
Motus, which runs under parent company Birmingham Motorcycle Company LLC., first unveiled two prototypes (MST and MST R) at Daytona Bike Week in 2011. The bikes then underwent two years of extensive testing before heading into production.
Motus recently launched a new website dedicated to the production MSTs. The website features all specs for both the MST and MST R; check it out here.
And Motus says its V4 Baby Blocks will start shipping this August to those who reserve them now; reserve by email or call 205.208.9966 ext 104.
Motus V4 Baby Block Features:
- 1650cc (100ci), liquid cooled, cast aluminum 90° V4 w/ steel liners
- Cam-in-the-block, 2 OHV
- Splayed lifters for maximum valvetrain stability
- Aluminum cylinder heads w/ splayed & canted valves for max. flow and combustion efficiency
- Automotive-style low mass, low inertia roller rocker arms
- Maintenance-free hydraulic roller lifters
- 4340 forged steel I-beam connecting rods
- 3-ring forged aluminum pistons with moly coating
- Wet sump w/ integral pick-up, serviceable screen, magnetic drain plug
- 4 bolt main bearing girdle for maximum strength and durability
- Cast 4340 one-piece crank w/ automotive-style plain bearings
- Gerotor oil pump, integrally cast internal water pump
- CFD optimized, precision cast water jackets
- Closed loop 250kBd multi-point fully sequential fuel injection
- Ride-by-wire w/ electronic throttle control (ETC)
- Cast individual runner manifold w/ 4 x 40mm contoured bore downdraft throttle bodies
- 12 bolt bellhousing (9.5” bolt circle) for easy application adaptation
- Spare bosses for alternate accessory drives and motor mounts