Kawasaki’s Sykes on Provisional Pole at Moscow Superbike
2013 Moscow Raceway World Superbike Friday Qualifying Results
Following a three-week break since Imola, the 2013 World Superbike Championship got underway Friday at Moscow Raceway in Russia.
And the man who snatched the points lead following a dominating performance at Imola, Kawasaki Racing’s Tom Sykes, once again earned the provisional pole.
The Ninja ZX-10R rider – who has six Superpole wins in eight rounds – posted a 1:35.567 around the 2.442-mile circuit in qualifying one. The Brit stole the top time from Althea Racing Aprilia’s Davide Giugliano in the final moments of Q1.
It wasn’t a huge margin; Sykes crossed the line 0.048 of a second ahead the Italian to secure the number-one spot. Finishing third fastest, 0.324 of a second behind Sykes, was BMW Motorrad GoldBet’s Marco Melandri, who was followed closely by Ducati Alstare’s Carlos Checa.
Following Checa was Aprilia Racing Team’s Eugene Laverty, FIXI Crescent Suzuki’s Leon Camier and Pata Honda World Superbike’s Jonathan Rea.
The times were close during Friday’s qualifying. All six manufacturers were in the top seven positions, and the top 12 bikes were within a second of each other.
As for the man who trails Sykes by six points after eight of 15 rounds, Aprilia Racing Team’s Sylvain Guintoli is still in pain. Last week while training on a bicycle, the Frenchman took a fall, dislocating his right shoulder. Although in pain, he finished 14th, 1.253 seconds behind Sykes.
World Superbike debutant Lorenzo Savadori (Team Pedercini Kawasaki), substitute rider for regular Alex Lundh, managed to put in only five laps before a technical problem on his ZX-10R forced him to sit out most of the session, World SBK reports.
The 18-rider WSBK grid will be back on the Moscow Circuit Saturday for another qualifying session ahead of Superpole.
2013 Moscow World Superbike Qualifying 1 Results:
1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’35.567
2. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’35.615
3. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1’35.891
4. Carlos Checa (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1’35.921
5. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’35.964
6. Leon Camier (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1’36.013
7. Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1’36.084
8. Michel Fabrizio (Red Devils Roma) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’36.162
9. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’36.260
10. Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1’36.303
11. Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1’36.304
12. Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1’36.585
13. Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1’36.787
14. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’36.820
15. Max Neukirchner (MR-Racing) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1’36.881
16. Federico Sandi (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’38.048
17. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Grillini Dentalmatic SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1’39.079
18. Lorenzo Savadori (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’39.504