2013 Muddy Creek Raceway | Tennessee AMA Motocross Results
2013 Muddy Creek Raceway AMA Motocross Results
Spoiler Alert: 2013 AMA Motocross results from Muddy Creek Raceway, Tennessee, listed below
The 2013 Lucas Oil Pro AMA Motocross series headed Saturday evening to the Southeast region for the first time in 15 years.
The AMA MX action took place at Muddy Creek Raceway in Blountville, Tenn., for the inaugural Built Ford Tough Tennessee National.
And the south was lucky for Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey. Following two second-place finishes in the opening two rounds of AMA Motocross (Hangtown, Thunder Valley), Dungey was able to secure his first victory of 2013 MX.
Joining the reigning Motocross Champion on the overall podium was Muscle Milk Honda’s Justin Barcia and the rider who won the opening two rounds, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto.
When the action got underway, Toyota/Yamaha/JGRMX rider Josh Grant was the quickest rider, giving him the gate pick. But when Moto1 got underway, Villopoto claimed his first Motorcycle-Superstore.com Holeshot of the season, followed closely by Barcia.
The two battled, but Villopoto was able to get the best of Barcia, taking his fifth consecutive moto win.
Behind, Dungey battled through the field, eventually passing Yoshimura Suzuki’s James Stewart for the final podium position. Stewart would finish fourth, followed by FIM World Championship contender Clement Desalle (Suzuki).
In the second moto, Villopoto, Barcia and Dungey all forced their way to the first corner, but it was Barcia who would be the dominate rider. Barcia went on to lead the first 11 laps, but Dungey eventually made a pass. The KTM SX-F rider was able to hold off Barcia for the win.
Barcia’s teammate Trey Canard, who finished 29th in the first moto due to a crash, redeemed himself and took the final podium position. Villopoto experienced a crash, but fought his way back to the front, finishing fourth. Taking fifth was Suzuki’s Mike Alessi.
This was Dungey’s first win of 2013 AMA Motocross, and due to his 2-2 finishes Barcia finished second overall, and Villopoto third overall due to his 1-4 score.
Ryan Dungey (Red Bull KTM SX-F 450 Motocross) says: “It’s good to get the first win so early in the season. It was definitely a hard fought win today. The track was rough and there were a lot of tough guys out there but I think they key is just going to be consistency this season.”
In the 250 Class, GEICO Honda’s Justin Bogle grabbed his first Motorcycle Superstore Holeshot of the season, but Bogle went down, and rookie Cooper Webb immediately put his MyPlash Star Yamaha/Metal Mulisha machine out front on the opening lap, MX Sports says.
Webb went head-to-head with Red Bull KTM’s Ken Roczen early on, but this time experience prevailed as Roczen commanded the lead in Moto 1, with teammate Marvin Musquin in the second place position, MX Sports says.
Webb then engaged in a four-way battle with Rockstar Energy Racing’s Jason Anderson, GEICO Honda’s Zach Osborne and defending 250 Class Champion Blake Baggett. Baggett was able to break free from Anderson and Webb, before setting his sights on Musquin in the second place position, MX Sports says.
Round 2 winner Eli Tomac began Moto 1 outside of podium contention but the GEICO Honda rider made his way into a top five position halfway through the race. Tomac and Webb battled it out for the fourth place position near the end of the race, where Tomac succeeded, leaving Webb to round out the top five, MS Sport says.
In Moto 2 of the 250 Class, Tomac finally got the start he was looking for as he shot off the line to grab the Motorcycle Superstore Holeshot. Musquin put his Red Bull KTM ride into second place right away, while Virginia native Zach Osborne charged his way to the front after battling with his teammate Bogle early on, MX Sports says.
Roczen attempted to interject himself into the battle between Osborne and Bogle but he tipped over in the process, allowing Baggett to pass by. It didn’t take long for Roczen and Baggett to make their way past the GEICO Honda teammates and that’s when the head-to-head battle began. Roczen made a mistake late in the race, which allowed Baggett to take over the third place position, MX Sports says.
Tomac claimed the Moto 2 win but it was Musquin whose consistency paid off as the French rider went (2-2) for the day to claim his first 250 Class victory of the season. Tomac’s (4-1) score was good enough to secure second overall, while points leader Roczen claimed third overall for the day. Baggett went (3-3) for fourth overall and Osborne rounded out the top five at his home track in Tennessee, MX Sports says.
Round 4 of the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship heads to Mt. Morris, Pa. for the GEICO High Point National next Saturday, June 8.
2013 Muddy Creek AMA Motocross 450 Class Results (Moto Finish):
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM (3-1)
2. Justin Barcia, Monroe, N.Y., Honda (2-2)
3. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki (1-4)
4. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki (4-6)
5. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki (6-5)
6. Clement Desalle, Belgium, Suzuki (5-9)
7. Kevin Strijbos, Belgium, Suzuki (14-7)
8. Andrew Short, Colorado Springs, Colo., KTM (12-10)
9. Trey Canard, Oklahoma City, Okla., Honda, (29-3)
10. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Suzuki (13-11)
2013 AMA Motocross 450 Class Championship Standings (after round 3 of 12):
1. Ryan Villopoto, Seattle, Wash., Kawasaki, 143
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM, 133
3. Justin Barcia, Pinetta, Fla., Honda, 114
4. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki, 99
5. Trey Canard, Oklahoma City, Okla., Honda, 90
6. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki, 85
7. Tyla Rattray, Wildomar, Calif., Kawasaki, 59
8. Clement Desalle, Belgium, Suzuki, 58
9. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM, 54
10. Ryan Sipes, Elizabethtown, Ky., Suzuki, 49
2013 Muddy Creek AMA Motocross 250 Class Results (Moto Finish):
1. Marvin Musquin, La Reole, France, KTM (2-2)
2. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda (4-1)
3. Ken Roczen, Apolda, Germany, KTM (1-4)
4. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki (3-3)
5. Zach Osborne, Abingdon, Va., Honda (6-5)
6. Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki (7-7)
7. Justin Bogle, Cushing, Okla., Honda (12-6)
8. Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha (8-11)
9. Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki (11-9)
10. Cooper Webb, Morehead City, N.C., Yamaha (5-15)
2013 AMA Motocross 250 Class Championship Standings:
1. Ken Roczen, Apolda, Germany, KTM, 138
2. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda, 132
3. Marvin Musquin, Corona, Calif., KTM, 116
4. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki, 110
5. Zach Osborne, Abingdon, Va., Honda, 96
6. Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki, 77
7. Cooper Webb, Morehead City, N.C., Yamaha, 65
8. Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha, 62
9. Justin Bogle, Cushing, Okla., Honda, 61
10. Jeremy Martin, Millville, Minn., Yamaha, 61