Silverstone Superbike: Sykes Tops Friday
2012 Silverstone World Superbike Qualifying 1 Results
Kawasaki Racing’s Tom Sykes, the man who has taking pole in seven out of nine World Superbike rounds so far this season, was was quickest during the first day of qualifying at Silverstone in the UK Friday.
Competing at his home race, Sykes took the provisional pole after posting a 2:06.115 during the 45-minute qualifying (Q1) session. But only 0.035 of a second behind was the man who doubled at Silverstone last year – Althea Ducati’s Carlos Checa.
Checa, who led Friday morning’s practice session, was followed by newly-signed Pata Racing Ducati rider Sylvain Guintoli, who competed on the Liberty Racing Team Effenbert Ducati up until Silverstone, round 10 of 14 in the 2012 World Superbike Championship.
But although third, Guintoli couldn’t quit match the pace of Sykes’ ZX-10R or the reigning World SBK champ’s 1198R; Guintoli trailed Sykes by 0.461 of a second. Taking the final provisional front-row position was local favorite Leon Camier on the FIXI Crescent Suzuki GSX-R 1000; the Brit was just over a half-second slower than Sykes.
Heading up the provisional second row will be yet another British rider, ParkingGO MTC Racing Aprilia’s Chaz Davies. He will be joined by Libery Racing Team Effenbert Ducati’s Jakub Smrz, Aprilia Racing Team’s Eugene Laverty and PATA Racing Team Ducati’s Lorenzo Zanetti.
The top 11 riders during Q1 at Silverstone were within a second of each other, with BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet’s Ayrton Badovini being the final rider to post within a second of Sykes.
And besides Checa and Sykes, the other top riders on top in points didn’t perform so well on Friday; BMW Motorrad’s Marco Melandri, currently second in points, ended up 12th quickest. As for the series’ leader, Aprilia Team’s Max Biaggi, the 2010 WSBK Champ finished 17th quickest Friday, though that’s usually part of Biaggi’s strategy as he works bike setup over lap time.
For a preview of Silverstone World Superbike, click here.
2012 Silverstone World Superbike: Qualifying 1 Results:
1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 2’06.115
2. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 2’06.148
3. Sylvain Guintoli (PATA Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 2’06.576
4. Leon Camier (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 2’06.617
5. Chaz Davies (ParkinGO MTC Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 2’06.684
6. Jakub Smrz (Liberty Racing Team Effenbert) Ducati 1098R 2’06.795
7. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 2’06.851
8. Lorenzo Zanetti (PATA Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 2’06.869
9. Maxime Berger (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 2’06.967
10. John Hopkins (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 2’07.007
11. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 2’07.089
12. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 2’07.244
13. Leon Haslam (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 2’07.401
14. Niccolò Canepa (Red Devils Roma) Ducati 1098R 2’07.404
15. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 2’07.499
16. Michel Fabrizio (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 2’07.658
17. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 2’07.723
18. Jonathan Rea (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 2’07.740
19. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 2’07.810
20. Hiroshi Aoyama (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 2’07.996
21. David Salom (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 2’09.438
22. David Johnson (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 2’10.043
23. Norino Brignola (Grillini Progea Superbike Team) BMW S1000 RR 2’11.645
24. Brett McCormick (Liberty Racing Team Effenbert) Ducati 1098R 2’13.730