MotoGP: Lorenzo Extends Yamaha Contract

  • 2012-motogp-lorenzo-extends-yamaha-contract 1
  • 2012-motogp-lorenzo-extends-yamaha-contract 2
  • 2012-motogp-lorenzo-extends-yamaha-contract 3
  • 2012-motogp-lorenzo-extends-yamaha-contract 4
  • 2012-motogp-lorenzo-extends-yamaha-contract 5

Jorge Lorenzo & Factory Yamaha Through 2014

As expected, Jorge Lorenzo will stay with Yamaha for a further two years, something the 2010 MotoGP Champion has alluded to many times.

The Yamaha Factory Racing team confirmed Tuesday that the 25-year-old Spaniard will continue on the YZR-M1 for the 2013 and 2014 MotoGP seasons.

Lorenzo signed with the factory Yamaha team in 2008 (Fiat Yamaha), joining then-Yamaha rider Valentino Rossi. That year, hr took the Rookie of the Year title. In 2009, he would finish second behind Rossi before taking his first MotoGP title in 2010.

In 2011, Lorenzo was joined by the American Ben Spies when Rossi moved to the Ducati team. That year, Lorenzo finished second behind Repsol Honda’s Casey Stoner. And so far in 2012, Lorenzo has won three of five races, leading the championship by 20 points over Stoner.

Since joining the factory Yamaha team in 2008, Lorenzo has amassed 20 wins and 49 podiums (up to and including round five of the 2012 MotoGP Championship).

Jorge Lorenzo (Yamaha Factory Racing YZR-M1 MotoGP) says: “I am extremely happy to have signed with Yamaha for two more years. They’ve made great efforts to retain me in the Factory Team so I want to thank all those involved at Yamaha for this.

“I’ve been treated like part of the Yamaha family since 2008 and I love working with them. It has always been my first option to stay here and so I’m happy that this important negotiation has finished with such a positive outcome.

“Now I can focus on the Championship and I’m looking forward to paying back Yamaha’s trust in me starting at Silverstone this weekend. I look forward to winning many more Championships together; my dream to finish my career with Yamaha is now closer to becoming a reality!”

Lin Jarvis (Managing Director, Yamaha Motor Racing) says: “This is excellent news for Yamaha and for the Yamaha Factory Racing Team. Jorge has been with us since 2008 and achieved superb results in the first four years, the highlight being his World Championship victory in 2010.

“He’s currently on top form having won three of the first five GP races and finishing second in the other two. Jorge’s contract extension allows both him and Yamaha to concentrate 100% on this year’s Championship challenge without any distractions and also to make future plans together to further strengthen the winning partnership.”