Lorenzo Tops Aragon MotoGP Test
2012 MotoGP Test
On Sunday, Yamaha Factory Racing’s Jorge Lorenzo took his third win of the 2012 MotoGP Championship, taking the Catalunya GP victory by over five seconds ahead of fellow Spaniard Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda).
And the 2010 MotoGP Champion was once again dominate Wednesday during the second in-season test at Motorland Aragon, also in Spain.
While working on engine and electronic adjustments, and also setting up the 1000cc YZR-M1 for the Aragon circuit that will host round 14 of the 2012 MotoGP Championship Sept. 30, Lorenzo posted a best lap of 1:49.187, just a tad slower than the circuit record, which was set by Casey Stoner aboard the Repsol Honda 800cc RC212V last season.
Jorge Lorenzo (Yamaha Factory Racing YZR-M1 MotoGP) says: “This test has been very important because it’s not easy to find the best set up for the 1000cc bike here as there is so much change from the 800. We tried the engine again like we did in Barcelona, there wasn’t so much difference so the engineers now have to make a decision for moving forward. They will consider the data from today to help them.”
Just over two-tenths of a second behind was Lorenzo’s teammate Ben Spies, who struggled at Catalunya, crashing after taking the lead but ultimately finishing 10th.
Ben Spies (Yamaha Factory Racing YZR-M1 MotoGP) says: “Today was a good test, to come back after not such a fantastic race on Sunday and be consistently fast here and in the Catalunya test is important. We’ve worked really well with the bike and the electronics and just tried to change a few things and fine tune. The track was a lot better than we thought, we were expecting it to be quite dirty but it wasn’t. I feel like I’m getting back up to the potential of the bike and myself which is good.”
Two additional Yamahas followed – the Monster Tech 3 satellite Yamaha YZR-M1 piloted by Cal Crutchlow and Andrea Dovizioso, respectively.
Crutchlow was a half a second behind Lorenzo, with Dovi a further two-tenths of a second behind his teammate. Dovi, who was quickest at the Catalunya test on Monday and took third at the Catalunya GP, worked further on electronics, engine and track setup, and his teammate tested all the components he couldn’t test at Catalunya due to crashing.
The top Ducati time went to Pramac Racing’s Hector Barbera, who finished in fifth behind Lorenzo, with Ducati Team’s Nicky Hayden in sixth; Hayden and his teammate Valentino Rossi were not testing the new aluminum swingarm as they did at Catalunya Monday. Instead, the team worked on new bike settings; Rossi would finish eighth quickest.
With the Repsol Honda Team of Stoner and Pedrosa absent, the top-running Honda RC213V was piloted by San Carlo Honda’s Alvaro Bauitsta, who finished seventh, just over a second slower than Lorenzo. LCR Honda’s Stefan Bradl was ninth quickest, the reigning Moto2 champion working on suspension and chassis stiffness.
Rounding out the top 10 at the Aragon test was Cardion AB Ducati’s Karel Abarham, who injured his hand during a crash at the Catalunya testing on Monday. The Czech performed 19 laps.
The fastest CRT (Claiming Rule Team) time went to Bautista’s teammate, Michele Pirro, who finished 11th, just ahead of Avintia Blusens’ Ivan Silva.
NGM Mobile Forward Racing’s Colin Edwards ended the day in 13th, the American improving on the Suter-BMW’s electronics package. Finishing 14th was Avintia Kawasaki’s Ivan Silva.
2012 Aragon MotoGP Test Results:
1. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Yamaha Factory (YZR-M1) 1m 49.187s (Lap 57/59)
2. Ben Spies USA Yamaha Factory (YZR-M1) 1m 49.442s (55/57)
3. Cal Crutchlow GBR Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 49.687s (63/67)
4. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 49.887s (51/54)
5. Hector Barbera ESP Pramac Racing (GP12) 1m 50.196s (56/64)
6. Nicky Hayden USA Ducati Team (GP12) 1m 50.204s (31/66)
7. Alvaro Bautista ESP Honda Gresini (RC213V) 1m 50.294s (54/56)
8. Valentino Rossi ITA Ducati Team (GP12) 1m 50.369s (78/78)
9. Stefan Bradl GER LCR Honda MotoGP (RC213V) 1m 51.146s (31/72)
10. Karel Abraham CZE Cardion AB Motoracing (GP12) 1m 51.977s (15/19)
11. Michele Pirro ITA Honda Gresini (FTR-Honda CRT) 1m 52.452s (47/51)
12. Yonny Hernandez COL Avintia (FTR-Kawasaki CRT) 1m 52.502s (30/64)
13. Colin Edwards USA Forward Racing (Suter-BMW CRT) 1m 52.589s (33/53)
14. Ivan Silva ESP Avintia (FTR-Kawasaki CRT) 1m 53.929s (49/69)