2012 World Superbike Championship
This past weekend, the 2012 World Superbike Championship traveled to Donington Park in England for round five of 14.
Two seperate makes of motorcycles took wins during the doubleheader – the BMW Motorrad S1000RR piloted by Marco Melandri (race 1), and the Honda World Superbike CBR1000RR piloted by Jonathan Rea (race 2).Following the race, the official one-make tire supplier Pirelli’s Racing Director Giorgio Barbier provided some notes regarding tire information.Giorgio Barbier
(Racing Director Pirelli Moto) says: “This weekend on English soil provided truly great and heated races for both Superbike and Supersport. The work done during the tests at Imola proved to be very important: in Superbike the R302 solution for the rear, developed from this year’s standard SC1, designed to work at lower temperatures and to prevent cold tearing, was quite popular with pretty much all the riders.“In Supersport as well, the R303, also a development of the SC1, was chosen by various riders. For this reason, given the excellent feedback received, we will definitely see these two solutions again in some of the future championship races.“The Superbike Championship competition is very tight every year, and this year is no exception: in race two six different manufacturers crossed the finish line in the top six places, which shows just how much Pirelli’s work contributes to placing all the teams in optimum conditions to be able to realistically aspire to the world title. In addition to congratulations to Marco Melandri and Jonathan Rea, respectively the winners of race 1 and race 2, my compliments go to Max Biaggi who had the best lap in both races as well as Sam Lowes, current ranking leader of the Pirelli Supersport Best Lap Awards.”Donington World Superbike Pirelli Best Lap Awards:
Donington World Supersport Pirelli Best Lap Awards:
- SBK Race 1 – Max Biaggi (Aprilia Racing Team) 1’28.992 (Lap 6)
- SBK Race 2 – Max Biaggi (Aprilia Racing Team) 1’28.995 (Lap 4)
- Total BEST LAP (SBK): Checa C. (Althea Racing) 3, Biaggi M. (Aprilia Racing Team) 3, Sykes T. (Kawasaki Racing Team) 2, Sylvain Guintoli (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) 1
- Sam Lowes (Bogdanka PTR Honda) 1’31.097 (Lap 21)
- Total BEST LAP (WSS): Lowes S. (Bogdanka PTR Honda) 2, Foret F. (Kawasaki Intermoto Step) 1, Parkes B. (Ten Kate Racing Products) 1, Lanzi L. (Prorace) 1.