2012 World Superbike
Donington Park is one of the most significant tracks in World Superbike, considering it was the first track to host the series back in April of 1988.
And after a year absence, Donington returned to the World SBK Championship last year, awarding Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad) the first race, and that year’s champion, Althea Ducati’s Carlos Checa, the second.
Checa’s win was the 17th for Ducati at Donington (out of 38 races), making the Italian machine the most successful World Superbike machine at the British circuit.
And Donington continued to cater to Ducati on Friday after Liberty Racing Ducati’s Jakub Smrz took the provisional pole after posting the fastest lap in the first of two qualifying sessions.
As in the last two rounds at Assen and Monza, rain was in the forecast. And although the rain flag came out for a bit, it didn’t affect rider’s performances in the 45-minutes Q1 session.
Joining Smrz on the provisional front row were Honda World Superbike’s Jonathan Rea, who trailed Smrz by 0.58 of a second, the reigning World SBK Champ Checa, who trailed by 0.171 of a second, and BMW Motorrad’s Leon Haslam, who trailed by 0.268 of a second.
Heading up the provisional second row was FIXI Crescent Suzuki’s Leon Camier, followed by his British compatriot Tom Sykes on the Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R. Seventh fastest at Q1 was BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet’s Michel Fabrizio, who was followed by Aprilia Racing Team’s Max Biaggi, the current points leader after three of 14 rounds.
On Saturday, the riders will participate in the second qualifying session, and the top 16 riders will move on to Tissot-Superpole.
Donington World Superbike Qualifying 1 Results:
1. Jakub Smrz (Liberty Racing Team Effenbert) Ducati 1098R 1’29.336
2. Jonathan Rea (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 1’29.394
3. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1’29.507
4. Leon Haslam (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1’29.604
5. Leon Camier (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1’29.614
6. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’29.719
7. Michel Fabrizio (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 1’29.918
8. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’29.973
9. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1’29.977
10. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 1’29.986
11. Sylvain Guintoli (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 1’30.225
12. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1’30.245
13. Chaz Davies (ParkinGO MTC Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’30.392
14. Hiroshi Aoyama (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 1’30.522
15. Maxime Berger (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 1’30.539
16. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’30.577
17. Peter Hickman (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1’30.904
18. Lorenzo Zanetti (PATA Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 1’31.035
19. Niccolò Canepa (Red Devils Roma) Ducati 1098R 1’31.199
20. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’31.625
21. Mark Aitchison (Grillini Progea Superbike Team) BMW S1000 RR 1’32.003
22. Leandro Mercado (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’32.806
23. Gary Mason (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’34.084