2012 Jerez MotoGP Test: Bridgestone Report
2012 MotoGP Pre-Season Testing
Pre-season testing for the 2012 MotoGP season wrapped up after the conclusion of the Jerez test and a late dash by Repsol Honda’s Casey Stoner in the final hour of play saw the Australian stand supreme at the top of the time sheets once again.
Jerez was the first time all 21 riders campaigning the upcoming MotoGP season shared the same circuit , but it made little difference to the reigning champion as his time of 1:38.780 ensured he was the fastest man at each of the IRTA pre-season tests.
Stoner’s late burst of speed saw him depose Yamaha MotoGP’s Jorge Lorenzo into second place, though the 2010 champion’s best time of 1:38.953 showed the potency of the 2012 M1 and the promise of some exciting duels throughout the upcoming season.
The factory MotoGP Honda and Yamaha teams locked out the top four positions in the standings with Repsol Honda’s Dani Pedrosa third quickest ahead of Ben Spies, while Monster Yamaha Tech3’s Cal Crutchlow continued his excellent pre-season form to finish the final day fifth ahead of Ducati’s Valentino Rossi.
Following data analysis from the second Sepang MotoGp test, Bridgestone developed a new specification front tire for Jerez and evaluation of this new front tire took place alongside continued testing of the 2012 specification front tire.
The data and MotoGP-rider feedback acquired from the experimental front tire will now be analyzed at Bridgestone’s Technical Center in Japan in support of its ongoing development program.
As the sun sets on pre-season testing for another year, Bridgestone now shifts its focus to the first MotoGP race of 2012 which will take place under lights at Qatar’s Losail International Circuit from April 5-8.
Shinji Aoki (Manager, Bridgestone Motorsport Tire Development Department) says: “I am very pleased to have completed our pre-season development program and we leave Spain having achieved all our technical objectives.
“At the Sepang tests we met our target of delivering improved warm-up performance, enhanced rider feel and a wide operating temperature range in hot conditions, and at Jerez we wanted to achieve the same performance criteria in cooler conditions. In this regard, the outcome was very positive with riders giving excellent feedback on how the 2012 specification tyres performed in the cooler temperatures and so we approach the season full of optimism.
“As part of our fundamental tire development program, we also brought an experimental front tire for all riders to test at Jerez and we gathered valuable data on this new development. On behalf of Bridgestone I would like to thank all the teams and riders for their efforts in helping us achieve our goals and I look forward to what I am sure will be an exciting season for MotoGP.”
Bridgestone MotoGP Test Data:
- Slick compounds available: Front: Medium & Hard; Rear: Soft & Medium
- Weather: Fri: Dry, Sat: Wet/Dry, Sun: Dry. Ambient 17-23°C; Track 17-40°C (Bridgestone measurement)
2012 Jerez MotoGP Pre-Season Test: Combined Times
1. Casey Stoner, Repsol Honda Team: 1:38.780, 118 laps
2. Jorge Lorenzo, Yamaha Factory Racing: 1:38.953, 188
3. Dani Pedrosa, Repsol Honda Team: 1:39.157, 158
4. Ben Spies, Yamaha Factory Racing: 1:39.495, 158
5. Cal Crutchlow, Monster Yamaha Tech 3: 1:39.585, 168
6. Valentino Rossi, Ducati Team: 1:39.733, 169
7. Andrea Dovizioso, Monster Yamaha Tech 3: 1:39.860, 134
8. Nicky Hayden, Ducati Team: 1:39.919, 205
9. Alvaro Bautista, San Carlo Honda Gresini: 1:40.017, 168
10. Stefan Bradl, LCR Honda: 1:40.098, 171
11. Hector Barbera, Pramac Racing Team: 1:40.287, 195
12. Karel Abraham, Cardion AB Racing: 1:40.579, 197
13. Randy de Puniet, Power Electronics Aspar: 1:40.601, 118
14. Aleix Espargaro, Power Electronics Aspar: 1:41.645, 136
15. Danilo Petrucci, CAME Ioda Racing: 1:41.926, 150
16. Franco Battaini, Ducati Team: 1:42.057, 205
17. Colin Edwards, NGM Mobile Forward Racing: 1:42.073, 140
18. Mattia Pasini, Speed Master Team: 1:42.184, 130
19. Michele Pirro, San Carlo Honda Gresini: 1:42.212, 110
20. James Ellison, Paul Bird Motorsport: 1:42.437, 173
21. Ivan Silva, Avintia Racing: 1:42.446, 178
22. Yonny Hernandez, Avintia Racing: 1:42.906, 105