MotoGP | Ducati GP12 Unveiled (Video)
2012 MotoGP Championship
The Ducati Team did something different to unveil the GP12 prototypes that Valentino Rossi and Nicky Hayden will pilot during the 2012 MotoGP Championship.
Instead of a typical unveiling before the press at some unique European venue, the Ducati Team streamed a live presentation of the GP12 desmos from Ducati headquarters in Bologna, Italy, Monday morning. This was a far-different debut than last year when the GP12s were unveiled at the WROOM event in the Italian Dolomites.
During the presentation Monday morning, which was streamed live in coordination with TIM (Telecom Itali Mobile), Rossi and Hayden were on hand, and began spreading photos of the new Ducati MotoGP prototypes in their Italian colors on social-media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook.
The online presentation was the first time Rossi and Hayden’s GP12 prototypes weredisplayed in 2012 MotoGP livery; for the first two official MotoGP tests in Sepang, the Ducati GP12s donned black body work. The first outing with the new livery will be at the final MotoGP test of 2012 at Jerez March 23-25.
Following are the specs of the GP12
Ducati Desmosedici GP12 Technical Specifications:
- Engine: Liquid-cooled, 90 degree V4 four-stroke, desmodromic DOHC, four valves per cylinder
- Capacity: 1,000cc
- Maximum power: More than 230hp
- Maximum speed: In excess of 330 km/h (205 mph)
- Transmission: Ducati Seamless Transmission (DST)
- Fuel Injection: Indirect Magneti Marelli electronic injection, four throttle bodies with injectors above butterfly valves; Throttles operated by EVO TCF (Throttle Control & Feedback) system
- Fuel: Shell Racing V-Power
- Lubricant: Shell Advance Ultra 4
- Ignition: Magneti Marelli
- Exhaust: Termignoni
- Final Drive: D.I.D Chain
- Frame: Aluminum
- Suspension: Öhlins inverted 48mm fork and Öhlins shock absorber, adjustable for preload, compression and rebound damping
- Tires: Bridgestone 16.5″ front and rear
- Brakes: Brembo, two 320mm carbon front discs with four-piston callipers. Single stainless steel rear disc with two-piston caliper
- Dry weight: 157 kg (346 lbs.)