2012 Jupiter Discovery Ride | Entry Info
2012 Jupiter Discovery Ride with Ted Simon
The 2012 Jupiter Discovery Ride is a unique opportunity to explore the US south west and join Ted Simon in representing the Foundation at this year’s Overland Expo in Arizona.
Courtesy of Jupiter’s Motorcycles, one solo rider will be provided with a BMW R1200GS motorcycle for a two-week adventure between May 10-24, 2012.
The rider will collect the bike from Los Angeles and follow a route of his or her own devising towards Flagstaff, Ariz. Once in Flagstaff, the rider will join the Foundation team as a VIP at Overland Expo, before making the return journey to LA.
Anyone can apply for selection as the Jupiter Discovery Rider, subject to terms and conditions. The Foundation will choose one rider from the applications received. The deadline for applications is midnight PST on Friday 20th April 2012.
Discover a story. Tell the world.
As the name suggests, The Jupiter Discovery Ride isn’t just a two week holiday. In keeping with the Foundation’s principles of Exploration, Comprehension, and Communication, the selected rider will investigate an agreed theme, looking at the reality of life in the areas they travel through.
The rider will write about what he or she finds, and support the story with stunning photography and compelling video. The Foundation will publish the material as a series of Journey Insights and the rider will also give a short presentation about their trip at Overland Expo itself.
Although the Foundation is happy to consider alternatives, the suggested theme for Discovery Ride writing is “immigration.”
Riders are urged to apply for selection as the 2012 Jupiter Discovery Rider. Details can be found at jupiterstravellers.org/jupiter-discovery-ride.
2012 Jupiter Discovery Rider Terms of Conditions:
- The Discovery Ride is open to solo riders only.
- You must have a full motorcycle license and at least five years or 5,000 miles experience riding 1,000cc+ motorcycles.
- The motorcycle is a fully-insured 2009 BMW R1200GS, with top-box and panniers. No SatNav is provided.
- The motorcycle will be provided free of charge, but to comply with insurance the rider will agree to pay for any damages to the bike up to the value of $2,500. A credit card authorization will be required.
- The motorcycle must be collected from LA on 10th, 11th or 12th May 2012 and returned on or before 24th May 2012.
- Overland Expo is taking place from 18th to 20th May 2012. The rider will be given a free VIP ticket to the event and will be required to attend on all three days.
- Travel arrangements and expenses to and from LA before and after the ride are the responsibility of the rider.
- Fuel, accommodation, food, and any other expenses incurred during the two week period will also be the responsibility of the rider.
- Camera and video equipment will not be provided by the Foundation.
- The rider will agree to produce at least one Journey Insight article during the trip to Flagstaff, a multimedia presentation at Overland Expo, and at least one further Journey Insight article after the trip has been completed.