2012 World SuperbikeReady to take on the World Superbike Championship for the fourth consecutive year, the Aprilia Racing Team held a presentation Tuesday in Milan, unveiling its RSV4 and rider lineup in 2012 livery.
For the 2012 World SBK series, which gets underway Feb. 26 in Phillip Island, Australia, for the first of 14 rounds, the Aprilia Racing Team will return with 2010 WSBK Champion Max Biaggi and former Yamaha rider Eugene Laverty.Biaggi is the only Italian in history to have won the series, and has been with Aprilia since its inception on the championship in 2009. He is joined by the 25-year-old Irishman Laverty, who finished fourth overall during his debut year in WSBK aboard the Yamaha.Aprilia says: "The level of competition for the 2012 season is even higher after the winter market moves. Indeed, World Superbike has become an exciting and entertaining proving ground for the best factory production bikes. In this exciting series Aprilia brings it’s racing heritage to the table, rich with technology and innovation. "A prime example of this is the four-cylinder RSV4, characterized by the 1,000 cc V4 engine, an extraordinary project which was born and raised within the Aprilia Racing Department and simultaneously developed for the street version of the bike, available to all enthusiasts."And Aprilia is a very well-known brand in motorcycle racing; the Italian manufacturer has garnered 49 world titles: 38 in MotoGP (where it also boasts a record of 294 GP wins), two very recent victories in Superbike and nine in off-road disciplines.Coordinating the Aprilia Racing Team operations during the 2012 SBK season will be Luigi Dall’Igna, Technical and Sport Director of the Racing Department, with Dario Raimondi as Team Manager.Biaggi’s garage will welcome new entry, Aligi Deganello as head mechanic, while Eugene Laverty will entrust is RSV4 to the able hands of Marcus Eschembacher.Aprilia RSV4 Superbike – Technical Specifications
- Engine: Aprilia 4 longitudinal 65° V4 cylinder, 4-strokes, liquid cooling system, double overhead camshaft (DOHC), four valves per cylinder
- Engine capacity: 999 cc
- Maximum rpm: 15,000 rpm
- Maximum power: 220 hp
- Fuel system: Variable-height intake ducts controlled by engine control unit, electronic injection with 8 injectors and latest-generation Ride-by-Wire technology.
- Compression ratio: 14.5:1
- Transmission: Six speed cassette gearbox.
- Clutch: Multiplate wet clutch with slipper system.
- Electronic management: Aprilia Racing ECU managing ignition, injection, variable-height intake duct control, Ride by Wire system and traction control.
- Chassis: Adjustable, aluminium dual beam with pressed and cast sheet elements.
- Suspension: Öhlins
- Brakes: Brembo
- Weight: 364 lbs/165 kg