2012 MotoGP: Provisional Rider Entry List
With less than three weeks until the first testing period of 2012 MotoGP at Sepang, the FIM released the provisional entry list.
For 2012, the grid will feature 21 riders – 12 on factory prototypes, and nine on CRT (Claiming Rule Teams).
Beginning this year, MotoGP teams are allowed to run prototypes with displacement up to 1000cc. Joining the grid for 2012 will be the CRT prototypes; each CRT is a privateer MotoGP entry that will be permitted to have certain flexibility in fuel-tank capacity and engines, making them competitive to run with the other prototypes.
The 18-round 2012 MotoGP Championship begins April 8 at Qatar, and ends Nov. 11 in Valencia, Spain.
Following is the 2012 MotoGP provisional rider list (as of Jan. 13, 2012):
(1) Casey Stoner, Australia: Honda Team, Honda
(4) Andrea Dovizioso, Italian: Yamaha Tech 3, Yamaha
(5) Colin Edwards, USA: Forward Racing, Suter*
(6) Stefan Bradl, Germany: LCR Honda MotoGP, Honda
(8) Hector Barbera, Spain: Pramac Racing Team, Ducati
(9) Danilo Petrucci, Italy: Ioda Racing Project, Ioda*
(11) Ben Spies, USA: Yamaha Factory Racing, Yamaha
(13) Anthony West, Australia: Speed Master, ART*
(14) Randy de Puniet, France: Aspar Team MotoGP, ART*
(17) Karel Abraham, Czech Republic: Cardion AB Motoracing, Ducati
(19) Alvaro Bautista, Spain: Honda Gresini, Honda
(20) Aleix Espargaro, Spain: Aspar Team MotoGP, ART*
(22) Ivan Silva, Spain: BQR, BQR-FTR*
(26) Dani Pedrosa, Spain: Honda Team, Honda
(35) Cal Crutchlow, Great Britain: Yamaha Tech 3, Yamaha
(46) Valentino Rossi, Italy: Ducati Team, Ducati
(51) Michele Pirro, Italy: Honda Gresini, FTR*
(68) Yonny Hernandez, Columbia: BQR, BQR-FTR*
(69) Nicky Hayden, USA: Ducati Team, Ducati
(77) James Ellison, Great Britain, Paul Bird Racing, ART*
(99) Jorge Lorenzo, Spain: Yamaha Factory Racing, Yamaha