Jerez: Confirmed for 2012 MotoGP
When MotoGP released the 18-round schedule for 2012, the Circuito de Jerez in Spain was listed as round 2, although negotiations were continuing regarding the contract.
But on Wednesday, MotoGP reported that the negotiations were settled, and Jerez, which is typically the first European GP on the calendar, will host a MotoGP round for the next four years.
Carmelo Ezpeleta (Dorna Sports CEO) says: “We are delighted to confirm that the 2012 Grand Prix of Spain will be held at the Circuito de Jerez, a very special locale for the MotoGP World Championship.
“I’d like to thank the Junta de Andalucía and Jerez de la Frontera City Council for their support in working toward securing this iconic event. We’ll now look ahead to the future of the event and focus on working together to reach an agreement up until 2016.”
This coming season begins a new era in GP racing as engine capacity is raised to 1000cc, and the addition of Claiming Rules Team (CRT). Each CRT is a privateer entry that will be allowed to have certain flexibility in fuel-tank capacity and engines, making them competitive to run with the other prototypes.
2012 MotoGP Schedule:
- April 8 / Qatar*: Doha/Losail
- April 29 / Spain (STC): Jerez de la Frontera
- May 6 / Portugal (STC): Estoril
- May 20 / France: Le Mans
- June 3 / Catalunya: Catalunya
- June 17 / Great Britain: Silverstone
- June 30 / Netherlands**: Assen
- July 8 / Germany (STC): Sachsenring
- July 15 / Italy: Mugello
- July 29 / United States***: Laguna Seca
- August 19 / Indianapolis: Indianapolis Motor Speedway
- August 24 / Czech Republic: Brno
- September 16 / San Marino & Riviera di Rimini: Misano
- September 30 / Aragon: Motorland
- October 14 / Japan: Motegi
- October 21 / Malaysia: Sepang
- October 28 / Australia: Phillip Island Ricard Tormo
- November 11 / Valencia: Valencia
* Evening Race
** Saturday Race
*** Only MotoGP class
STC (Subject to the contract)