Kawasaki Tops Final MotoGP Jerez Test
2012 MotoGP Prep
The three-day private MotoGP test at Jerez concluded Friday with Yonny Hernandez taking the top time aboard the Kawasaki-powered BQR FTR prototype.
Hernandez completed 23 laps aboard the BQR FTR Kawasaki CRT (Claiming Rules Team*), bettering his Thursday time by four-tenths of a second, posting a 1:44.
Although he was fastest Friday, the overall quickest of the timed MotoGP bikes was the Texan Colin Edwards who posted a 1:42.6 on the NGM Forward Racing Suter-BMW CRT on Thursday. Edwards didn’t participate in the Friday sessions, and neither did Carlos Checa, who performed the testing duties in place of Nicky Hayden and Valentino Rossi. Edwards and Checa completed testing Thursday.
Hernandez was joined Friday by three other premier-class MotoGP riders – Ivan Silva, who also piloted the BQR FTR Kawasaki CRT, Randy de Puniet on the Aprilia-powered Aspar Team CRT and Franco Battaini on the Ducati GP12.
When Friday was complete, it would be Silva who took the second fastest lap of the MotoGP bikes; both the Aspar and Ducati teams didn’t provide lap times following the test.
MotoGP reports that among the representatives of the Moto2 class, Scott Redding (Marc VDS Racing Team) again paced fastest for the third day running. The Briton recorded a best lap of 1’43.3 today, four tenths off his time of 1’42.9 which put him at the head the timesheets on both Wednesday and Thursday. British rider Gino Rea (Gresini Racing) had the only fall of the day, having a minor crash in the afternoon but suffering no consequences. Toni Elias returned to the track, and like his first day of testing, put in a remarkable number of laps, no less than 90 aboard the Suter of the Aspar Team, MotoGP reports.
Jerez MotoGP/Moto2: Private Testing Unofficial Times – Day Two
- Yonny Hernández (BQR-FTR Kawasaki) 1.44.0 (23 laps)
- Iván Silva (BQR-FTR Kawasaki) 1.44.2 (37 laps)
- Carlos Checa (Ducati Test Team) did not participate
- Franco Battaini (Ducati Test Team) not provided
- Randy De Puniet (Aspar Team) not provided (70 laps)
- Scott Redding (Marc VDS Racing Team) 1.43.0 (54 laps)
- Bradley Smith (Tech 3) 1.43.1 (57 laps)
- Mika Kallio (Marc VDS Racing Team) 1.43.4 (69 laps)
- Gino Rea (Gresini Team) 1.43.8 (58 laps)
- Xavier Simeon (Tech 3) 1.43.9 (80 laps)
- Toni Elías (Aspar Team) 1.44.6 (90 laps
- Nico Terol (Aspar Team) 1.44.7 (73 laps)
* Each “CRT” is a privateer entry that will be allowed to have certain flexibility in fuel-tank capacity and engines, making them competitive to run with the other prototypes; all MotoGP motorcycles will have a capacity of 1000cc.