2012 MotoGP Prep
For the second consecutive day of private testing at Jerez, Colin Edwards was the fastest of the timed MotoGP riders, the American piloting the all-new NGM Forward Racing Suter-BMW CRT (Claiming Rules Team*) machine.
Edwards completed 40 laps at the Jerez Thursday with a best time of 1:42.6, an improvement of 1.3 seconds over his Wednesday time.
The second fastest time was posted by Iván Silva aboard the BQR-FTR Kawasaki-powered machine.The 2011 Spanish CVE Stock-Extreme Champion posted a quickest time of 144.4 at Jerez. A tenth of a second back was Yonny Hernandez, who also rode the BQR-FTR Kawasaki.
The Ducati Team GP12 prototypes were again on the track today without its normal pilots Valentino Rossi or the American Nicky Hayden. Riding the bikes once again was 2011 World Superbike Champion Carlos Checa and Ducati Team test rider Franco Battaini. Just like Wednesday, Ducati didn’t report the test times.
Joining the MotoGP portion of the private Jerez testing was Randy de Puniet on the Aspar Team Aprilia CRT; Aspar also didn’t report its times. De Puniet was testing the same bike that former MotoGP racer and current test rider for Aprilia, Alex Hofmann, tested at Valencia last week. De Puniet made the most of the test, using the opportunity to get an idea of what the Aspar Team’s Aprilia can do, the bike being the basis of the future CRT the team plans to run in the MotoGP class next year, MotoGP reports.
MotoGP says the Moto2 class made the most of the good conditions as in just seven days the winter period with its subsequent ban on testing begins for them, though not for the new CRT bikes, for which testing is still allowed for the new category.
Jerez MotoGP/Moto2: Private Testing Unofficial Times – Day Two:
- Colin Edwards (NGM Forward Racing) 1.42.6 (40 laps)
- Iván Silva (BQR-FTR Kawasaki) 1.44.3
- Yonni Hernández (BQR-FTR Kawasaki) 1.44.4
- Carlos Checa (Ducati Test Team) not supplied
- Franco Battaini (Ducati Test Team) not supplied
- Randy De Puniet not supplied
- Scott Redding (Marc VDS Racing Team) 1.42.9 (74 laps)
- Pol Espargaró (Pons Racing) 1.43.0 (63 laps)
- Esteve Rabat (Pons Racing) 1.43.3 (47 laps)
- Mika Kallio (Marc VDS Racing Team) 1.43.5 (69 laps)
- Bradley Smith (Tech 3) 1.44.0 (58 laps)
- Gino Rea (Gresini Team) 1.43.9 (25 laps)
- Alex De Angelis (Forward Racing) 1.44.0 (55 laps)
- Yuki Takahashi (Forward Racing) 1.44.2 (54 laps)
- Axel Pons (Pons Racing) 1.44.7 (65 laps)
- Toni Elías (Aspar Team) 1.44.9 (73 laps
- Nico Terol (Aspar Team) 1.44.9 (73 laps)
- Xavier Simeon (Tech 3) 1.45.0 (68 laps)
* Each “CRT” will be a privateer entry that will be allowed to have certain flexibility in fuel-tank capacity and engines, making them competitive to run with the prototypes; all motorcycles will have a capacity of 1000cc.