2012 MotoGP Prep
On Wednesday, Colin Edwards made his debut appearance on the NGM Forward Racing Suter-BMW CRT (Claiming Rules Team) during the first day of private testing in Jerez.
Each “CRT” will be a privateer entry that will be allowed to have certain flexibility in fuel-tank capacity and engines, making them competitive to run with the prototypes; all motorcycles will have a capacity of 1000cc.
It was the first time Edwards was on the track since he was injured in the Sepang accident that claimed the life of Marco Simoncelli. But after easing into focus, the former Monster Tech 3 rider lapped Jerez 39 times, posting a 1:43.9, the fastest of the disclosed MotoGP times. Edwards was trailed by Ivan Silva aboard the Inmotec CRT.
Silva, the 2011 Spanish Championship CEV Stock Extreme Champion, rode 40 laps, posting a best time of 1:45.5. Also on track with Edwards and Silva was Yonny Hernandez, who piloted a BQR FTR Kawasaki CRT to a best of 1:45.7 within 28 laps.
The Ducati Team GP12 prototypes were present, but without normal riders Valentino Rossi and the American Nicky Hayden. Taking laps on the 2012 1000cc Desmosedici prototype with an aluminum frame were 2011 World Superbike Champion Carlo Checa and Ducati test-rider Franco Battaini. Ducati didn’t disclose its test times.
MotoGP reports that several teams from the Moto2 class were present to give their new riders time aboard their new machinery, among them the Aspar Team with riders Nico Terol and former Moto2 World Champion, Toni Elías. The two focused primarilyu on bike geometry and set-up, with Elias putting in a remarkable 104 laps aboard the 600cc bike.
Scott Redding and Mika Kallio of Marc VDS Racing Team continued to familiarize themselves with the Kalex Moto2 that the team will run next year. Redding had a crash early in the day but was unhurt. Also taking a fall in the morning was Pol Espargaro of the Pons Racing team, the Catalan rider was also uninjured and was able to continue the day’s testing along side team mate Esteve Rabat, MotoGP reports.
The MotoGP/Moto2 riders will be back at Jerez on Thursday for the second of three days in the private tests
Jerez MotoGP/Moto2: Private Testing Unofficial Times – Day One:
- Colin Edwards (NGM Forward Racing) 1.43.9 (39 laps)
- Iván Silva (Inmotec) 1.45.5 (40 laps)
- Yonni Hernández (BQR-FTR Kawasaki) 1.45.7 (28 laps)
- Scott Redding(Marc VDS Racing Team) 1.42.9 (52 laps)
- Pol Espargaró (Pons Racing) 1.43.3 (45 laps)
- Esteve Rabat (Pons Racing) 1.43.3 (57 laps)
- Mika Kallio (Marc VDS Racing Team) 1.43.9 (50 laps)
- Gino Rea (Gresini Team) 1.43.9 (57 laps)
- Bradley Smith Tech 3) 1.44.0 (60 laps)
- Toni Elías (Aspar Team) 1.44.2 (104 laps)
- Axel Pons (Pons Racing) 1.44.7 (50 laps)
- Alex De Angelis (Forward Racing) 1.44.9
- Yuki Takahashi (Forward Racing) 1.44.9 (42 laps)
- Xavier Simeon (Tech 3) 1.45.2 (67 laps)
- Nico Terol (Aspar Team) 1.45.6 (63 laps)