Although Stefan Bradl piloted the LCR Honda during the traditional post-season MotoGP testing at Valencia, it wasn’t confirmed that the 21-year-old German would compete in 2012.
But on Thursday, LCR Honda put all assumptions to rest, reporting that the team signed the 2011 Moto2 Champion Bradl for the 2012-2013 MotoGP seasons.
This signing comes on the helm of LCR Honda entering its seventh season thanks to renewing cooperation with Honda HRC. And like usual, the team manager, former rider Lucio Cecchinello, signed a” young talented rider with the aim to start a new challenge related also to the new technical rules of the premier class (1000cc).” The 2011 rider, Toni Elias, also was signed to LCR Honda after winning the debut 2010 Moto2 Championship.
Lucio Cecchinello (LCR Honda MotoGP Team Manager) says: “Next year will be very important for the MotoGP; starting from next April the championship will be rich of new technical rules and participants. Together with Honda we have considered several riders and Stefan was one of our candidates.
“After the test in Valencia we were very impressed by his potential and his determination: Stefan is young and fast and he just clinched the Moto2 World Title so we believe we can grow together with the Team in the next two years. He already knew the technical staff and today I am happy to give him our warmest welcome in the LCR Team.”
Stefan Bradl (LCR Honda RC213V MotoGP) says: “This is simply fantastic like a dream that comes true! When I tested the RC212V in Valencia I realized that LCR Team is very professional and well organized so I am sure they will do their best to support me: making my debut in the premier class aboard the RC213V is great and I can not wait to get back on track”.
For 2012, the LCR Team will also use a new corporate logo created with a new 3D layout that will be displayed in the Team publications and graphics.
When Stefan Bradl took the 2011 Moto2 Championship, he became the first German rider to take a World Championship since Dirk Raudies in the 125cc class in 1993. Following are some Stefan Bradl stats.
Stefan Bradl MotoGP Career
- 2005: 125cc World Championship – 35th position on a KTM, 3 starts, 1 point
- 2006: 125cc World Championship – 26th position on a KTM, 9 starts, 4 points
- 2007: 125cc World Championship – 18th position on an Aprilia, 9 starts, 39 points
- 2008: 125cc World Championship – 4th position on an Aprilia, 17 starts, 187 points, 2 wins
- 2009: 125cc World Championship – 10th position on an Aprilia, 16 starts, 85 points
- 2010: Moto2 World Championship – 9th position on a Suter, 16 starts, 97 points, 1 win
- 2011: Moto2 World Championship – 1st position on a Kalex, 16 starts, 274 points, 4 wins
Now there are 15 official entires for the 2012 MotoGP grid, including Claiming Rule Teams; here’s what’s official as of Nov. 17, 2011:
- Valentino Rossi, Ducati Team
- Nicky Hayden, Ducati Team
- Hector Barber, Pramac Ducati
- Karel Abraham, Cardion AB Ducati
- Casey Stoner, Repsol Honda
- Dani Pedrosa, Repsol Honda
- Alvaro Bautista, San Carlo Honda Gresini
- Stefan Bradl, LCR Honda
- Jorge Lorenzo, Yamaha Factory Racing
- Ben Spies, Yamaha Factory Racing
- Andrea Dovizioso, Monster Tech 3 Yamaha
- Cal Crutchlow, Monster Tech 3 Yamaha
MotoGP CRT Entries:
- Colin Edwards, Forward Racing BMW
- Anthony West, Speed Master Aprilia
- Gresini/FTR Honda (rider not yet confirmed)