2012 World Superbike
With Troy Corser’s contract complete after the 2011 World Superbike Championship, BMW Motorrad confirmed Saturday that the Australian will no longer be on the team.
Joining the Brit Leon Haslam on the BMW Motorrad World Superbike team will be Marco Melandri, who competed on the Yamaha Factory Racing team this season.
The 29-year-old Italian who took the 2002 250cc MotoGP Championship has signed on for a year aboard the BMW S1000RR.
Bernhard Gobmeier (BMW Motorrad Director) rsays: "We are really looking forward to working with Leon and Marco. I am convinced we will have arguably the strongest rider’s line up in the Superbike World Championship field. We are delighted to have two riders who are both hungry and experienced for the coming season.
"That is the next important step for our team. Marco has performed brilliantly this season, even during difficult periods. He impressed us in his first season in the championship, and we are pleased to be able to welcome him into our team."
Marco Melandri Profile:
- Date of birth: 7th August 1982
- Place of birth: Ravenna (ITA)
- Place of residence: Ravenna (ITA)
- Family status: Engaged
- Height: 1.66 m
- Weight: 60 kg
- Hobbies: All kinds of motorsports, cycling, music
- Passion: Bikes
- First bike: Malaguti Grizzly 50ccm
- First race: 1989, Mini-Bikes, Cattolica (ITA)
- Career highlight: 250ccm World Champion (2002), 2nd MotoGP (2005)
- Superbike World Championship record: 22 races, 12 podium finishes, 3 wins, 5 second and 4 third places, 1 pole position, 3 fastest race laps