2011 Southern 100: Dunlop Doubles
IOM Southern 100 Thursday
Michael Dunlop had a strong beginning to the Southern 100 held at the 4.25-mile Billown Circuit in the Southern end of the Isle of Man – the PB Kawasaki rider won the Corlett’s Trophies 1000cc event.
During his performance, he also broke Relentless Suzuki Guy Martin’s outright lap record on the circuit.
And on the final day of the Southern 100 on the Isle of Man, Dunlop dominated once again, taking both the Manx Gas Solo Championship 1000cc race and the Supersport 600cc race on Thursday, the final day of racing.
En route to winning the nine-lap, solo Championship race, Dunlop broke the race record and his own outright lap record; the Northern Irishman became the first pilot to ever post under the 2:16 mark with a 2:15.951 at 112.51 mph.
Joining Dunlop on the Solo Championship podium was Guy Martin, who won the Wednesday’s Senior Race, and Ryan Farquhar. Marting and Farquhar battled throughout the race, with Martin having a 0.1 of a second edge at the end of lap five.
But by the end of the race, Martin would finish 4 seconds behind Dunlop, with Farquhar 2.5 seconds behind Martin.
In the Supersport 600cc race held earlier on Thursday, Dunlop dominated from start to finish. Joining Dunlop on the podium were William Dunlop on the Honda CBR1000RR and Martin.
2011 IOM Southern 100: Solo Championship [9 laps]:
1. Michael Dunlop [Kawasaki] 20mins 38.549
2. Guy Martin [Relentless Suzuki by TAS] 20mins 42.601
3. Ryan Farquhar [Kawasaki] 20mins 45.044
4. William Dunlop [Honda] 20mins 52.539
5. Cameron Donald [Honda] 22mins 05.138
6. Dan Kneen [Kawasaki] 21mins 07.896.
2011 IOM Southern 100 Supersport 600cc Race:
1. Michael Dunlop [Yamaha] 18mins 58.558
2. William Dunlop [Honda] 19mins 03.002
3. Guy Martin [Relentless Suzuki by TAS] 19mins 03.644
4. Cameron Donald [Honda] 19mins 03.824
5. Dan Kneen [Honda] 19mins 22.186
6. Conor Cummins [Kawasaki] 19mins 22.944