Aragon World Superbike | Q2 Results
2011 World Superbike
On Friday, Althea Ducati’s Carlos Checa couldn’t catch rival Marco Melandri in the first qualifying practice at Motorland Aragon. But after some additional dialing in at his home circuit, the Spaniard Checa took the top time in the second qualifying practice Saturday morning.
Checa posted a 1:59.183 in the morning before Superpole, over five-tenths of a second faster than Melandri’s overall fastest time on Friday; at Q2 on Saturday, Melandri slowed to seventh.
It’s to no surprise that Checa is leading, considering he has won eight out of 12 races so far heading into the Round 7 races of the 2011 World Superbike Championship Sunday.
Following Checa 0.079 of a second behind was another Ducati rider, Jakub Smrz on the Effenbert-Liberty Racing 1198R superbike. Like Checa and Smrz, the reigning World Superbike Champion Max Biaggi vastly improved his Friday times and moved into the lead pack, just 0.016 of a second behind Smrz.
Last week’s Misano pole-winner, Tom Sykes, was fourth aboard the Kawasaki ZX-10R, followed by Biaggi’s teammate Leon Camier.
The WSBK grid will have another free practice session before this afternoon’s Superpole.
Stay clicked to UltimateMotorCycling.com for the latest Superpole updates.
2011 Aragon World Superbike: Qualifying 2 Results (Saturday, June 18)
1. C. Checa / Ducat 1198R / 1’59.183
2. J. Smrz / Ducati 1198R / 1’59.262
3. M. Biaggi / Aprilia RSV4 / 1’59.278
4. T. Sykes / Kawasaki ZX-10R / 1’59.358
5. L. Camier / Aprrilia RSV4 / 1’59.419
6. M. Berger / Ducati 1198R / 1’59.423
7. M. Melandri / Yamaha YZF-R1 / 1’59.437
8. A. Badovini / BMW S1000RR / 1’59.579
9. M. Fabrizio / Suzuki GSX-R1000 / 1’59.613
10. J. Lascorz / Kawasaki ZX-10R / 1’59.830