Spoiler Alert: High Point 450 AMA Motocross results below.
Round 3 of the 2011 AMA Motocross Championship took it’s first trip to the East Coast Saturday, arriving in High Point Raceway in Mt. Morris, Pa.
Taking the overall win with a 1-2 Motocross finish was 2011 AMA Supercross Champion, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto. Joining him on the overall podium was Rockstar Makita Suzuki’s Ryan Dungey (2-3) and Two-Two Motorsports Honda’s Chad Reed (5-1).
In the first MX moto, Villopoto simply dominated. The Kawasaki KX450F Motocross rider took the early lead, and finished over eight seconds ahead of Dungey, with Yamaha’s Davi Millsaps rounding out the MX podium.
In the second MX moto, the track was a bit wet due to a rain shower at High Point Raceway. Red Bull KTM’s Mike Alessi took the early lead, only to crash his KTM SX-F 350. This gave the lead to Reed, who kept it for the rest of the race. Reed would go on to take his fourth moto win of 2011 AMA Motocross. Joining Reed on the High Point Moto 2 podium was Villopoto and Dungey.
Ryan Villopoto (Monster Energy Kawasaki KXf450) says: "It’s nice to get my first win in a long time. I didn’t feel good at Hangtown, but I felt good at Texas – I just didn’t have it. We had a weekend off and the team did a lot of testing. Now, I can ride my bike the way I need to ride it.
"I showed that in the first moto, but obviously the second moto was a little different with the mud. I just tried to get a good start and ride decent. The track got better, but it also got slippery. We had to be cautious the whole moto. Now, we’ll go to Budds Creek, and I’m happy to be where we’re at (in the championship)."
With his overall win, Villopoto now has a 15-point lead over Reed with nine rounds remaining. The 2011 AMA Motocross Championship continues next weekend for Budds Creek MX Park in Mechanicsvill, Md.
2011 AMA Motocross: High Point Raceway 450 Results (moto finishes)
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki (1-2)
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki (2-3)
3. Chad Reed, Australia, Honda (5-1)
4. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM (4-4)
5. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha (3-9)
6. Kevin Windham, Baton Rouge, La., Honda (6-5)
7. Tommy Hahn, Great Bend, Kan., Yamaha (10-7)
8. Brett Metcalfe, Australia, Suzuki (8-10)
9. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki (7-11)
10. Nick Wey, Dewitt, Mich., Yamaha (14-8)
450 Class AMA Motocross Championship Standings
1. Chad Reed, Australia, Honda – 138
2. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 123
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki – 111
4. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha – 104
5. Brett Metcalfe, Australia, Suzuki – 88
6. Kevin Windham, Baton Rouge, La., Honda – 76
7. Ricky Dietrich, Snohomish, Wash., Yamaha – 72
8. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki – 68
9. Tommy Hahn, Great Bend, Kan., Yamaha – 65
10. Christian Craig, El Cajon, Calif., Honda – 59