Miller Superbike: Checa Tops Saturday
2011 World Superbike
During the opening day World Superbike at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah for the only USA round of the series, Carlos Checa was unstoppable.
The Althea Ducati 1198R rider couldn’t be touched in Free Practice 1 Saturday, and continued this trend during the first free qualifying practice, taking the provisional pole for Miller Superbike.
Carlos Checa (Althea Ducati Superbike) says: “We made a great start today despite this morning’s issues. I was able to find a good rhythm almost immediately and the feeling I have here this year with my bike seems to be slightly better than last year.
“As I said it’s gone quite well today but there is still work to do tomorrow. Results are never a given, also because this weekend it seems that the weather conditions will play an important part. I’m still very optimistic though and we’ll work to make further improvements during tomorrow’s sessions.”
Checa stormed to the front of the World Superbike grid after posting a 1: 48.260, eight-tenths of second quicker than Alitalia Aprilia’s Leon Camier. Taking the third fastest time Friday was the man who doubled at Miller last year, the reigning WSBK Champion Max Biaggi.
Fourth and fifth were Kawaski Racing Team’s Tom Sykes and BMW Motorrad’s Troy Corser. Other news around the paddock involved Michel Fabrizio; the sole Suzuki rider is suffering from a heavy bout with the flu, but still placed the GSX-R1000 in ninth Saturday.
2011 World Superbike: Miller Motorsports Park Qualifying Practice 1 Results:
1. Carlos Checa (Althea Ducati 1198R) 1’48.260
2. Leon Camier (Alitalia Aprilia RSV4) 1’49.055
3. Max Biaggi (Alitalia Aprilia RSV4) 1’49.306
4. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team ZX-10R) 1’49.432
5. Troy Corser (BMW Motorrad S1000RR) 1’49.552
6. Jonathan Rea (Castrol Honda CBR1000RR) 1’49.621
7. Jakub Smrz (Team Effenbert Ducati 1198R) 1’49.683
8. Eugene Laverty (Yamaha World Superbike YZF-R1) 1’49.708
9. Michel Fabrizio (Team Alstare GSX-R1000) 1’49.855
10. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad S1000RR Italia) 1’49.881