2011 Superbike Monza Qualifying
World Superbike Qualifying Results
Most of us in California were asleep at 6 a.m. when the World Superbike riders took to the Monza circuit in Italy for Superpole.
There was the traditional shake-up in the time sheets that were established in the practice and qualifying sessions on Friday and Saturday.
Leon Haslam had impressed, putting his BMW S1000RR at the top of the time sheets in Friday’s first timed session, proving his, and the BMW’s speed. The usual suspects followed, with Max Biaggi present as always.
When Superpole wrapped up today at 7 a.m. Pacific Time, it was reigning champ, Max Biaggi aboard the mighty V-4 Aprilia sitting on Pole.
Eugene Laverty (Yamaha) came through with an impressive second position, followed by early fast qualifier Jonathan Rea on the Castrol Honda in third. Rounding out the front row for tomorrow’s races is BMW-mounted Troy Corser.
Second row on the grid leads with Marco Melandri on the Yamaha, followed by Leon Haslam on the second BMW, Suzuki-mounted Michel Fabrizio, and fan favorite Noriyuki Haga on the satellite Aprilia.
Championship leader, Carlos Checa – on the Althea Ducati – starts from the third row. Here’s how the field is cued up for tomorrow’s round at the famous Monza circuit.
1. Max Biaggi ITA Aprilia Alitalia Racing RSV-4 1min 41.745s
2. Eugene Laverty IRL Yamaha WSBK YZF R1 1min 42.393s
3. Jonathan Rea GBR Castrol Honda CBR1000RR 1min 42.614s
4. Troy Corser AUS BMW Motorrad S1000RR 1min 42.688s
5. Marco Melandri ITA Yamaha WSBK YZF R1 1min 42.714s
6. Leon Haslam GBR BMW Motorrad S1000RR 1min 42.723s
7. Michel Fabrizio ITA Suzuki Alstare GSX-R1000 1min 42.954s
8. Noriyuki Haga JPN PATA Aprilia RSV-4 1min 43.043s
9. Ayrton Badovini ITA BMW Italia S1000RR 1min 42.886s
10. Leon Camier GBR Aprilia Alitalia Racing RSV-4 1min 42.995s
11. Carlos Checa ESP Althea Ducati 1098R 1min 43.116s
12. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Effenbert Liberty Ducati 1098R 1min 43.146s
13. Joan Lascorz ESP Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1min 43.090s
14. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki RTS ZX-10R 1min 43.437s
15. Jakub Smrz CZE Effenbert Liberty Ducati 1098R 1min 43.993s
16. Maxime Berger FRA Supersonic Ducati 1098R 1min 44.005s
The riders that qualified outside the top sixteen and did not progress to Superpole were:
17. Ruben Xaus ESP Castrol Honda CBR1000RR 1min 44.216s
18. Roberto Rolfo ITA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1min 44.515s
19. James Toseland GBR BMW Italia S1000RR 1min 44.989s
20. Mark Aitchison AUS Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1min 45.022s
21. Fabrizio Lai ITA Echo CRS Honda CBR1000RR 1min 45.739s
22. Chris Vermeulen AUS Kawasaki RTS ZX-10R No Time
There are questions about Chris Vermeulen being able to ride in Sunday’s race(s) following a qualifying get off. Race action will be broadcast on SPEED TV Sunday; Race 1 at 4 p.m., Race 2 at 5 p.m.