When Max Biaggi stepped onto the podium shortly after winning the 2010 Superbike World Championship, he was wearing a special T-shirt to celebrate the win, as in traditional, time-honored fashion.
This time round however Biaggi’s commemorative World SBK T-shirt was a little bit different to the others as, in addition to the 5 stars on the front (for four 250cc MotoGP and one WSBK title), on the back it also had a list of 10 reasons, thought of by the Italian himself, of why he is now the proud holder of 5 world motorcycle racing titles.
For the benefit of our english speaking superbike fans, here is the translation of Max Biaggi’s 10 reasons:
- I’ve been chasing a fifth star for a long time;
- I am the first Italian in SBK history to win the world title;
- I am the first Italian to win a 250cc GP world championship with an Italian bike (Aprilia) and I wanted to be the first Italian to win in SBK with an Italian bike (Aprilia);
- I have the hottest chick as my companion, and this helps! (Ed. referring to his current companion
- Eleonora Pedron, ex-Miss Italia);
- Enzo Ferrari was wrong, in a big way… (Ed. referring to the F1 constructor, who famously said “When a driver becomes a father, he loses one second a lap”);
- I will never stop thanking Ducati for their refusal to sign me in 2009;
- Aprilia and Piaggio are my second family;
- Becoming a father has given me exceptional motivation;
- At well past 39 years of age I can still keep everyone else in line;
- I owed it to all my fans and the Italians.