Brno Superbike: Results, Race 1
Brno Superbike One
For the third time this season, Jonathan Rea was victorious on the HANNspree Ten Kate Honda CRB1000R, winning Race 1 Sunday at Brno, Round 9 of the 2010 World Superbike Championship.
The Northern Ireland native started from third on the WSBK grid, behind Alitalia Aprilia rider Max Biaggi and pole-sitter Cal Crutchlow. Biaggi, who many predicted to be the man to beat, had a powerful start on his RSV4, and took the lead. The Sterilgarda Yamaha rider Crutchlow would fall back to third, with Rea in second. But by the final turn on lap 1, Rea, 23, overtook Biaggi.
Once out front, Rea kept a consisted rhythm, and would not be challenged for the remainder of the 20-lap race at the 3.35-mile track in Czech Republic. By the end, he would finish 2.618 seconds ahead of Biaggi, the series leader. This was Rea’s second-best start of the season; his best start was at Assen, where he started on the pole and won both races.
After Rea took Biaggi, Crutchlow immediately began to put pressure on Biaggi. The Brit passed Biaggi on Lap 2, and began to chase down Rea. By Lap 4, BMW Motorrad rider Ruben Xaus had also passed Biaggi.
While chasing Rea, Crutchlow set the fastest lap of the race at 1:59.964, but he could not match Rea’s consistent quick lap times. And as many predicted, the man to beat, Biaggi, came storming back, passing Xaus on Lap 6. The Roman Emperor wouldn’t catch up to Crutchlow until Lap 16. The two battled, and Biaggi’s first pass was quickly countered as Crutchlow regained his second-place position. But on the final bend, Biaggi overtook Crutchlow with two laps to go, but would be too far behind Rea to have a shot at winning.
Many racers did not finish Race 1; on Lap 1 Rea’s teammate Max Neukichner and Kawasaki’s Chris Vermeulen had some contact, and both went down. On the same lap Pata B&G Aprilia rider Jakub Smrz would also crash. Then on Lap 4, Supersonic Racing Ducati’s Luke Scassa would go down.
Meanwhile, Biaggi’s teammate Leon Camier would not finish due to clutch problems, and Ducati Xerox rider Michel Fabrizio would also DNF due to engine problems.
2010 World Superbike: Brno Results, Race 1
1. (65) Rea J. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR, 40:16.037
2. (3) Biaggi M. (ITA) Aprilia RSV4 Factory, + 2.518
3. (35) Crutchlow C. (GBR) Yamaha YZF R1, + 4.071
4. (50) Guintoli S. (FRA) Suzuki GSX-R1000, + 7.160
5. (111) Xaus R. (ESP) BMW S1000 R, + 8.602
6. (41) Haga N. (JPN) Ducati 1098R, + 11.379
7. (52) Toseland J. (GBR) Yamaha YZF R1, + 11.513
8. (91) Haslam L. (GBR) Suzuki GSX-R1000, + 16.487
9. (7) Checa C. (ESP) Ducati 1098R, + 20.829
10. (57) Lanzi L. (ITA) Ducati 1098R, + 25.164
11. (66) Sykes T. (GBR) Kawasaki ZX 10R, + 32.602
12. (67) Byrne S. (GBR) Ducati 1098R, + 36.748
13. (23) Parkes B. (AUS) Honda CBR1000RR, + 39.183
14. (95) Hayden R. (USA) Kawasaki ZX 10R, + 59.889
15. (15) Baiocco M. (ITA) Kawasaki ZX 10R, + 1’05.329
RET 84 Fabrizio M. (ITA) Ducati 1098R
RET 99 Scassa L. (ITA) Ducati 1098R
RET 2 Camier L. (GBR) Aprilia RSV4 Factory
RET 77 Vermeulen C. (AUS) Kawasaki ZX 10R
RET 96 Smrz J. (CZE) Aprilia RSV4 Factory
RET 76 Neukirchner M. (GER) Honda CBR1000RR