For the first time of the 2010 MotoGP season, Jorge Lorenzo will start from pole position, as a blistering run of 2:03.308 places him first on the grid for tomorrow’s AirAsia British Grand Prix.
With his Fiat Yamaha teammate Valentino Rossi out due to injuries and his current first-place standings in the championship, this debut pole of the season gives the 23-year-old Spaniard an opportunity to further extend his lead. Lorenzo was also fastest in Free Practice 1, and third fastest in Free Practice 2.
But he’s not outright dominating at Silverstone, one of the fastest circuits on this year’s calendar. Lorenzo was only 0.126 of a second faster than the Frenchman who will start second on the grid, LCR Honda rider Randy de Puniet.
This is De Puniet’s first front-row start since the Assen race in 2007. He was unlucky at the end of his session, though; while attempting to edge out the top times, he went down, escaping without injury.
The last rider to start on the front row is Repsol Honda’s Dani Pedrosa, who until qualifying was the first one to break the 2:05 mark, which occurred in Free Practice 2.
But after placing third, he suffered a crash on Turn 12 after Abbey, and was carried off the 3.66-mile circuit. The track’s medical center reported the Spaniard bruised both knees during the crash.
Pedrosa’s teammate Andrea Dovizioso will be the lead rider on the second row, the Italian being the last rider under the 2:04 mark. Joining him on the second row are Ducati Marlboro riders Nicky Hayden and Casey Stoner, respectively.
2010 MotoGP Silverstone Qualifying Times:
1. (99) Jorge LORENZO, SPA, Fiat Yamaha Team 2:03.308
2. (14) Randy DE PUNIET, FRA, LCR Honda, 2:03.434
3. (26) Dani PEDROSA, SPA, Repsol Honda, 2:03.586
4. (4) Andrea DOVIZIOSO, ITA, Repsol Honda, 2:03.995
5. (69) Nicky HAYDEN, USA, Ducati Team, 2:04.332
6. (27) Casey STONER, AUS, Ducati Team, 2:04.394
7. (11) Ben SPIES, USA, Monster Yamaha Tech 3, 2:04.477
8. (33) Marco MELANDRI, ITA, San Carlo Honda Gresini, 2:04.555
9. (58) Marco SIMONCELLI, ITA, San Carlo Honda Gresini, 2:04.868
10. (5) Colin EDWARDS, USA, Monster Yamaha Tech 3, 2:05.035
11. (40) Hector BARBERA, SPA, Paginas Amarillas Aspar Ducati, 2:05.354
12. (7) Hiroshi AOYAMA, JPN, Interwetten Honda, 2:05.712
13. (41) Aleix ESPARGARO, SPA, Pramac Racing Team Ducati, 2:05.748
14. (65) Loris CAPIROSSI, ITA, Rizla Suzuki 2:05.821
15. (19) Alvaro BAUTISTA, SPA, Rizla Suzuki 2:06.607
16. (36) Mika KALLIO, FIN, Pramac Racing Team Ducati 2:06.980