Team PATA B&G Racing will leave World Superbike Assen with a very solid display of privateer motorcycle racing by Jakub Smrz. Despite not being able to score a podium result after he surprised many with a 2nd position result in Superpole, Jakub was fast and competitive all weekend long.
In race 1 the Czech rider got a good start and remained in the leading pack with Troy Corser, Jonthan Rea, James Toseland and Max Biaggi, with Carlos Checa and Leon Camier behind them. Smrz maintained position halfway into the race, but when he started to attack them ran into shifter issues causing the bike to malfunction.
As a consequence, he had to settle for seventh place. When you consider that Nori Haga and Michel Fabrizio, on the Factory Ducati race bikes, both finished behind Smrz that is a true World SBK testament.
In SBK race 2 the battle got even tougher. Smrz made a good start yet again and got in the leading pack, which was made up of ten riders who all fought hard. In one of these duels, Smrz went wide, thus losing contact with the front-runners.
He however gained several positions to battle for the podium with the leading pack as the race was decided in the final sprint. The rider of PATA B&G Racing finished seventh in the second World SBK race.
Jakub Smrz (Ducati 1098R, 7th, 7th) says: "I gave it my all, but we didn’t have any luck today. I believe I could’ve battled for the victory in race 1, unfortunately the shifter issue caused me to go wide a few times. In race 2, after losing a couple of seconds halfway into the race, I gained a few positions, but I couldn’t pass the factory bikes that were in front of me".
Mirco Guandalini (Team Manager) says: "I’ d like to thank the team and both riders for doing a great job. We were always in front this weekend and we did well in race too. We were unlucky in race 1, in the second 5 riders finished the race within 6 tenths of a second. It was very hard to do more than this.
Superbike Results – Race 1
1. 65 Rea J. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 35’38.483 (168,216 kph)
2. 52 Toseland J. (GBR) Yamaha YZF R1 1.106
3. 2 Camier L. (GBR) Aprilia RSV4 1000 F. 1.249
4. 7 Checa C. (ESP) Ducati 1098R 1.548
5. 11 Corser T. (AUS) BMW S1000 RR 2.738
6. 3 Biaggi M. (ITA) Aprilia RSV4 1000 F. 2.813
7. 96 Smrz J. (CZE) Ducati 1098R 6.296
Superbike Results- Race 2
1. 65 Rea J. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 35’43.137 (167,85 kph)
2. 91 Haslam L. (GBR) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1.942
3. 52 Toseland J. (GBR) Yamaha YZF R1 3.928
4. 3 Biaggi M. (ITA) Aprilia RSV4 1000 F. 4.067
5. 11 Corser T. (AUS) BMW S1000 RR 4.176
6. 7 Checa C. (ESP) Ducati 1098R 4.525
7. 96 Smrz J. (CZE) Ducati 1098R 4.682