2013 Portimao World Supersport Results
There’s no doubting it – the Yamaha YZF-R6 is the dominate sportbike so far in the 2013 World Supersport Championship.
This is thanks to one rider – Yakhnich Motorsport Yamaha’s Sam Lowes, who took his fourth straight victory Sunday at Portimao.
Joining Lowes on the podium was Mahi Racing Team India Kawasaki’s Fabien Foret and Kenan Sofuoglu, respectively. Lowes completed the feat after taking his fifth straight pole position of 2013 World Supersport.
Sam Lowes (Yakhnich Motorsport Yamaha YZF-R6 Supersport) says: “This weekend I found a really nice feeling with the bike and had a really good pace. In the race I struggled a bit with the front feeling but felt good and the bike worked good. When I got to the front I made good pace but not enough to pull away.
“We ended up in a nice battle and hope everyone at home could enjoy it. I’m really happy to get that win. The next race in Imola Fabien has won the last two years and I’ve been second so I hope we can change that this time. This weekend and this race has been great, really good fun and I’m looking forward to the next one.
“I love racing bikes and I love winning so I’m going to keep trying my best, do the best job I can every race I’d like to thank the team and Yamaha who gave me a great bike again to race with.”
Finishing fourth was the rookie Michael van der Mark aboard the Pata Honda World Supersport CBR600RR.
All top-four finishers waited for the closing stages to give everything they had, but Lowes’ last move at Turn 11 on Foret proved to be a successful one as the pole-sitter managed to stay on the lead up to the chequered flag, while the Frenchman and Sofuoglu kept contesting the remaining podium positions.
Van der Mark had his shot at the front in the closing stages but once being passed back by the hungry trio he had to settle for an encouraging fourth, considering his still not ideal fitness condition. Sheridan Morais (PTR Honda) and Jack Kennedy (Rivamoto Honda) mixed up front in the early part, eventually finishing fifth and sixth respectively despite a big gap from the front.
Thanks to his fourth consecutive win of the season, the Brit Lowes extends his Championship lead to 39 points on the defending WSS Champion Sofuoglu.
2013 Portimao World Supersport Results:
1. Sam Lowes GBR Yakhnich Yamaha YZF-R6 20 laps
2. Fabien Foret FRA Mahi India Kawasaki ZX-6R +0.380s
3. Kenan Sofuoglu TUR Mahi India Kawasaki ZX-6R +0.502s
4. Michael van der Mark NED Pata Honda CBR600RR +1.322s
5. Sherian Morais RSA PTR Honda CBR600RR +9.537s
6. Jack Kennedy IRL RivaMoto Honda CBR600RR +11.772s
7. Andrea Antonelli ITA Go Eleven Kawasaki ZX-6R +13.535s
8. Luca Scassa ITA Intermoto PonyExpres Kawasaki ZX-6R +13.953s
9. Raffaele de Rosa ITA Lorini Honda CBR600RR +14.728s
10. Christian Iddon GBR ParkinGO MV Agusta F3 +18.756s
11. Vladimir Leonov RUS Yakhnich Yamaha YZF-R6 +18.909s
12. Massimo Roccoli ITA Pata by Martini Yamaha YZF-R6 +32.012s
13. Alex Baldolini ITA Suriano Suzuki GSX-R600 +32.039s
14. Lorenzo Zanetti ITA Pata Honda CBR600RR +32.118s
15. Luca Marconi ITA PTR Honda CBR600RR +33.152s