2013 Monza World Superbike Qualifying 1 Results
When round four of the 2013 World Superbike Championship got underway Friday afternoon with the first free practice at Monza in Italy, lap times were anything but fast.
This was due to rain soaking the 3.58-mile circuit featuring 13 corners. Under extremely slick conditions, Pata Honda World Superbike’s Jonathan Rea led that session,the Irishman putting in a best lap of 2:05.912.
The teams and riders were hoping for conditions to clear by the first timed practice of the weekend, qualifying 1, later Friday afternoon. And their hopes were satisfied when the skies cleared. The Q1 session was also delayed for about an hour due to officials cleaning up oil on the circuit from the Supersport qualifying session, which provided more time for the track to dry.
And though he finished 10th quickest and almost three seconds behind Rea in the first free practice, the home favorite Marco Melandri was quickest. The BMW Motorrad GoldBet S1000RR pilot was the only rider to post under the 1:43 mark with a 1:42.883.
Following the provisional pole sitter 0.274 of a second back was Rea aboard the CBR1000RR. A further 0.627 of a second b was the current points leader, Aprilia Racing Team’s Sylvain Guintoli.
Making it four different manufacturers in the top four was Tom Sykes aboard the Kawasaki Racing Team Ninja ZX-10R. The Brit trailed the Frenchman Guintoli by a mere 0.011 of a second. Both Guintoli and Sykes were the winners at Assen two weeks ago.
Three Aprilia RSV4 superbikes followed Sykes, lead by Althea Aprilia’s David Giugliano, Red Devils Roma Aprilia’s Michel Fabrizio, the final rider to post within a second of Melandri, and the other factory Aprilia rider, Eugene Laverty.
Eighth quickest during Q1 was Sykes’ teammate Loris Baz, who was 1.078 of a second behind Melandri. Baz was followed 0.145 of a second back by the fastest Suzuki GSX-R1000 of the day, the FIXI Crescent machine piloted by Leon Camier, who continues to recover from an injured knee.
Rounding out the top 10 was Camier’s teammate Jules Cluzel, who was followed by the top Ducati, the Alstare 1199 Panigale R piloted by 2011 World SBK Champion Carlos Checa.
The 19-rider grid will return to Monza Saturday for another round of free practice and qualifying ahead of Superpole.
For a preview of 2013 Monza World Superbike, click here.
2013 Monza World Superbike Qualifying 1 Results:
1. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1’42.883
2. Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1’43.157
3. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’43.510
4. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’43.521
5. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’43.623
6. Michel Fabrizio (Red Devils Roma) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’43.849
7. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’43.956
8. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’43.961
9. Leon Camier (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1’44.106
10. Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1’44.466
11. Carlos Checa (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1’44.763
12. Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1’44.823
13. Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1’44.992
14. Max Neukirchner (MR-Racing) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1’45.855
15. Federico Sandi (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’46.336
16. Fabrizio Lai (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’47.192
17. Kosuke Akiyoshi (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1’47.201
18. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Grillini Dentalmatic SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1’47.509
19. Mark Aitchison (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 1’47.521