2014 World SBK Provisional Calendar
The 2014 World Superbike provisional calendar was released this week. The schedule features 14 rounds – down one from 2013 – and many revisions.
The newest circuits on the 2014 World SBK calendar, which are Subject to Contract, are Sepang in Malaysia and Phakisa in South Africa; Sepang continues to be on the MotoGP schedule, and Phakisa, once on the MotoGP calendar.
Missing from the 2014 calendar are Silverstone in the UK, Nurburgring in Germany, Istanbul Park in Turkey and Monza in Italy. Returning after a one-year absence, though, is Monza in Italy.
Once again, the schedule will begin at Phillip Island in Australia (Feb. 23). As for the concluding round on Nov. 2, it is yet to be determined. The FIM states the final round will occur outside of Europe.
Kawasaki Racing’s Tom Sykes won the 2013 title, but will have additional challenges in 2014, including newcomers Jules Cluzel and Vladimir Leonov aboard the MV Agusta F4 RR superbikes.
With the return of MV Agusta and the additional of Erik Buell Racing (EBR), there will now be eight manufacturers competing in World Superbike – Aprilia, BMW, Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki and Suzuki.
2014 World Superbike Provisional Calendar:
- February 23: Australia – Phillip Island GP Circuit
- April 13: Spain – MotorLand Aragón
- April 21: The Netherlands – TT Assen
- May 11: Italy – Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari di Imola
- May 25: UK – Donington Park
- June 8: Malaysia – Sepang International Circuit (STC)
- June 22: Italy – Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli
- July 6: Portugal – Autódromo Internacional do Algarve
- July 13: USA – Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca (STC)
- September 7: Spain – Circuito de Jerez
- September 21: Russia – Moscow Raceway
- October 5: France – Circuit de Magny-Cours
- October 19: South Africa – Phakisa Freeway (STC)
- November 2: Overseas – TBC
STC = Subject to contract
TBC = To be confirmed