Supercross 2014 Results from 0.Com Coliseum in Oakdland, Calif.
Though podium results were mixed for Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto, the KX-F 450 rider dominated Saturday the 20-lap action at O.Co Coliseum in Oakland, Calif.
Villopoto, who also took his first win of 2014 SX at Phoenix, was joined on the Oakland SX podium by Yoshimura Suzuki’s James Stewart and TwoTwo Motorsports Kawasaki’s Chad Reed.
This gives Villopoto on early season advantage as he chases his fourth consecutive title, a feat only completed by Ricky Carmichael and Jeremy McGrath.
When the 20-lap main got underway ahead of 47,399 fans at O.Co Coliseum got underway, Factory Metal Works/Honda’s Vince Friese won the ulcer Cowboyz Holeshot Award, and was Toyota/Yamaha/JGRMX’s Justin Brayton. But on that opening lap Villopoto took over the lead, followed by Discount Tire Racing/TwoTwoMotorsports’ Chad Reed.
Behind, Stewart began charging through the field, eventually taking fourth on lap four and third on lap seven. As Villipoto remained untouched up front, Stewart would challenge Reed, eventually taking second.
Stewart wold finish second, 4.2 seconds behind Villopoto. Reed would finish third, his second podium finish since winning at Phoenix Supercross.
Rounding out the top five was Red Bull KT’s Ryan Dungey and Brayton, respectively.
Ryan Villopto (Red Bull KTM SX-F 450) says: “It feels good to be up here tonight. We have put in a lot of work at the test track, and I have a great team behind me and a great bike under me. I hope I can carry this momentum into Anaheim next weekend.”
James Stewart (Yoshimura Suzuki RMZ-Z 450 Supercross) says: “The track was really one-lined tonight,” said Stewart. “I had to take some chances out there to move through the field.”
With his win, Villopoto now moves into the points lead, seven ahead of Reed – who won at Anaheim II – after three of 17 rounds. As for the rider who won the opening round – Red Bull KTM’s Ken Roczen – the German finished sixth at Oakland; he trails Reed by a single point in the overall standings.
In the Wester Regional 250SX class, Rockstar Energy Racing KTM’s earned his third win of 2014.
Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Dean Wilson edged out his teammate Justin Hill for the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot Award in the Western Regional 250SX Class Main Event. Hill quickly moved into the lead and by the end of the opening lap, Anderson moved into second place with Wilson assuming third place, Fed Motor Sports says.
Hill and Anderson traded places on lap six, and while the two jockeyed for position in a corner, Wilson passed Anderson for second place and a few turns later, he passed Hill for the lead. Anderson tracked down Hill on the following lap to moved into second place, Feld Motor Sports says.
Anderson – for the third time this season – made a pass on the last lap to move into the lead and eventual win. Wilson finished a season-best second place and Hill finished a career-best third place, Feld Motor Sports says.
Jason Anderson (Rockstar Energy KTM Supercross) says: “I can’t believe I keep pulling these off; three wins in four races is huge. I hope to come away with the number-one plate at the end of the season. I wanted to be in attack mode tonight, but I also wanted to keep it on two wheels.”
Deal Wilson (Monster Energy Supercross says: “I have been working very hard, and everything was coming together tonight, but my bike stalled. I have always had the speed, but I have yet to put it together.”
Troy Lee Designs/Lucas Oil/Honda’s Cole Seeley came into tonight race with the points lead but dropped to second place as Anderson now moved into the number-one position in season standings and has a six-point lead.
Monster Energy Supercross heads to Anaheim next Saturday, Feb. 1, for the third and final race at Angel Stadium for Anaheim III.
2014 Oakland AMA Supercross 450SX Class Results:
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki
- Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Kawasaki
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
- Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C., Yamaha
- Ken Roczen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
- Justin Barcia, Pinetta, Fla., Honda
- Wil Hahn, Menifee, Calif., Honda
- Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM
2014 450SX Class Season Standings (after four of 17 rounds):
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 84
- Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Kawasaki, 77
- Ken Roczen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM, 75
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM, 75
- Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C., Yamaha, 71
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki, 66
- Justin Barcia, Pinetta, Fla., Honda, 56
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM, 49
- Wil Hahn, Menifee, Calif., Honda, 43
- Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki, 37
2014 Oakland AMA Supercross 250SX Class Results:
- Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.M., KTM
- Dean Wilson, Wesley Chapel, Fla., Kawasaki
- Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Kawasaki
- Cole Seely, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda
- Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda
- Michael Leib, Menifee, Calif., Honda
- Jessy Nelson, Paso Robles, Calif., Honda
- Shane McElrath, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda
- Cooper Webb, Newport, N.C., Yamaha
- Dean Ferris, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
2014 250SX Class Season Standings:
- Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.M., KTM, 93
- Cole Seely, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda, 87
- Dean Wilson, Wesley Chapel, Fla., Kawasaki, 72
- Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda, 69
- Cooper Webb, Newport, N.C., Yamaha, 65
- Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Kawasaki, 64
- Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Honda, 54
- Jessy Nelson, Paso Robles, Calif., Honda, 49
- Shane McElrath, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda, 42
- Dean Ferris, Murrieta, Calif., KTM, 42