2014 Kawasaki KX 100 Preview
For those have outgrown the KX85 but are not quite ready for the KX250F, Kawasaki built an in-between motocross machine that bridges the gap – the KX100 two-stroke.
The KX100 arrived on the scene in 1996, replacing the KX80 “Big Wheel.” Though a potent machine, Kawasaki kept the MX bike relatively the same.
But this changes for 2014. Kawasaki has revamped the KX100′s two-stroke engine, which produces 17-percent more horsepower over last year’s model. The engine features a host of improvements (listed below), including the use of new technology, such as Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve System (KIPS). The power band is wider due to the use of KIPS, “which amplifies the KX100’s low-end torque and creates a more seamless transition to its furious top-end rush.”
Kawasaki also upgraded the KX100′s suspension, the motocrosser featuring revised valving in the KYB 36mm inverted fork up front, and a new Uni-Trak linkage-equipped KYB reservoir shock out back.
Kawasaki says “just like its big brothers, the KX100’s fork now features shim-type valving and firmer damping for faster riders while also offering superior bottoming resistance, but a wide range of adjustability allows it to be tailored for precise damping to fit a variety of riding styles as well as track conditions. Out back, the new shock’s black-anodized aluminum body is 150 grams lighter, while a new clicker-type adjuster makes fine-tuning the rear suspension damping quick and easy.”
To stop the lightweight two-stroke motocross machine, the KX100 uses 220mm front and 184mm rear rotors. The KX100 is also wrapped in new Dunlop Geomax MX51 intermediate tires, which provide optimal grip across a variety of off-road terrains.
Ergonomics were also improved, from the 34.3-inch tall seat to a six-position adjustable wider and taller handlebar. And also, bolder graphics and unique styling were added to the 2014 Kawasaki KX100, such as blue alumite coatings on the adjusters and black alumite coating on the rims, just like three-time AMA Supercross Champion Ryan Villopoto’s factory KX450F.
Kawasaki has yet to release an MSRP on the 2014 KX100, but is expected to soon. And as always, those who compete on the KX100 at designated events are eligible to receive support from Team Green, Kawasaki’s amateur racing support program.
Following are the features and specs of the 2014 Kawasaki KX100.
2014 Kawasaki KX Features:
At a glance:
- NEW Retuned liquid-cooled, two-stroke, 99cc engine produces nearly 17% more peak power than previous model
- NEW Revised Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve increases more mid-range torque and top-end power
- Uni-Trak rear suspension is fully adjustable for compression and rebound damping and spring preload
- Rigid 36mm inverted cartridge forks are 20-way adjustable for compression damping, and provide better steering response and control
- Revised jetting in the 28mm Keihin PWK carburetor promotes ideal fuel atomization, for quicker throttle response and a smoother power delivery
- Six-speed transmission has chrome-finished shift fork ends to resist wear and seizing while bushings on the second, third and fourth gears on the output shaft increase durability
- Industry-leading amateur racer support through Team Green
Liquid-cooled, Two-stroke, Single-cylinder 99cc Engine:
- NEW Cylinder head gasket and gasket retention dowel prevents detonation, increasing reliability
- NEW Piston with single-ring design (was two rings) reduces friction
- NEW Lightweight Nikasil-coated cylinder features a new exhaust port shape for better flow, more power
- NEW Larger outer diameter crankshaft is now 83mm (+2mm), increasing rigidity and improving durability
- NEW Precisely shaped resin block added to crankshaft closes the gap around the machined area near the crank pin, reducing volume of the bottom-end to increase intake transfer for more power
- Intake and exhaust port bridges are machine-finished for reduced wear and improved reliability
- Rotor comes with rare-earth magnets; the unitized piece is small, light and more efficient; low inertial moment improves low-rpm response
- Connecting rod big-end bearing has more rigid cage for improved durability
- Intake port shape and cylinder skirt allow cooling air into the crankcase chamber
- Primary gear is secured using a lock-nut to help reduce mechanical noise
- Metafoam gaskets for the generator and water pump covers improve sealing
Kawasaki Integrated Power Valve System (KIPS):
- KIPS system varies exhaust-port height for increased horsepower and torque at all rpm
- NEW independent valves for each port replace three-piece design, increasing reliability and reducing maintenance
- Produces a broad powerband with more mid-range torque and excellent top-end power
- Breather in KIPS cover improves high-rpm and overrun performance
- NEW radiator increases cooling capacity by nearly 52% to sustain engine power during long motos
- Radiator is 2.6mm wider, 40mm taller
- Large right-side cutout improves airflow for increased power
- Reusable foam air filter
28mm Keihin PWK Carburetor:
- NEW jetting optimizes performance with new engine tuning specs
- Large crescent slide positions the needle closer to intake ports for ideal fuel atomization, providing quicker throttle response and a smoother power delivery
- Carburetor adjustable for various conditions
- Features large-diameter O-ring and groove on exhaust pipe for improved durability and easy installation
- Aluminum silencer is re-packable like larger KX models
- Thick-base clutch hub rides on needle bearings for smooth action
- Large, 91mm clutch plates add durability and control
- Clutch-release lever ratio is designed for light clutch lever action
- Clutch plate service cover simplifies maintenance and utilizes a metal-carbon composite gasket
- Positive shifting action and rugged durability
- Fifth and sixth gears ride on bushings for added reliability
- Shift forks are hard chrome-finished to resist wear and seizing
- Convenient oil-level window offers easy level checks
- Bushings on the second, third and fourth gears increase durability
High-tensile Steel Perimeter Frame:
- High-tensile steel frame tubes are reinforced in key areas to manage increased power output
- Perimeter design accommodates optimal intake/exhaust design
- Wide, steel footpegs offer added control and strength.
- Thick footpeg-mount brackets withstand today’s rigorous tracks
- Engine and chassis bolts feature rust-resistant coating
- NEW Fuel tank design features a flatter top area for smoother seating
- NEW Tank cap is moved 20mm lower to extend available room for the rider
Uni-Trak Rear Suspension:
- NEW KYB reservoir shock features black-anodized aluminum body is 150 grams lighter
- NEW clicker-type compression damping adjuster allows for more precise damping adjustments
- Swingarm uses large cross-section beams for improved rigidity and control
- Cast-aluminum drive chain adjuster sections allow easy chain adjustments
- Shock is fully adjustable with 24-way compression and 21-way rebound damping, plus stepless spring preload
36mm Inverted Cartridge Fork:
- NEW shim-type valving provides more precise damping control
- NEW firmer damping rates offer superior bottoming resistance
- Inverted fork is rigid, providing better steering response and control
- Compression damping is 20-way adjustable
- Aluminum upper fork tubes measure 36mm in diameter for flex-free performance
- Revised axle clamp reduces under-hang for greater fork clearance in ruts
- NEW petal-type brake rotors (220mm front/184mm rear) increase stopping power
- NEW petal-type rotor design helps clean the brake pads for more consistent performance
- NEW front brake hose routing helps protect brake line; front guides are just like the big KXs
- NEW direct upward line simplifies brake bleeding maintenance
- Front brake lever shape offers optimum feel
- Forged-aluminum rear brake pedal is strong, lightweight and features two seals at the pivot for smooth operation and increased durability
- Provide strong braking power with minimal effort
- Black alumite-coated lightweight aluminum rims offer a factory look
- Rear hub features two bearings on the drive side for added durability
- Large rear-axle diameter for optimum rigidity
- NEW Dunlop Geomax MX51 tires provide optimal grip for a wide range of riding conditions
- NEW Slimmer radiator shrouds and side panels improve rider ergonomics
- NEW Flat seat with seamless seat cover and gripper material improve comfort and make weight shifts easier
- 34.3” seat height is ideal for larger riders who are still growing
- NEW handlebars are 24mm wider and 22mm taller for increased leverage and comfort
- NEW Three-position handlebar risers offer STD, +5mm higher and +10mm higher bar positioning
- NEW Two-position handlebar clamps offer STD, +10mm forward bar location for a total of six different handlebar positions with new handlebar risers
- NEW Swingarm surface treatment matches big KXs and is easier to clean and refresh
- NEW angular front fender, angular rear fender and number plate design match big KX-styling
- NEW wraparound fork guards with embossed Kawasaki logo protect inner fork tubes and enhance styling
- Factory lime green “flow line” graphics
- Black alumite coatings mirror the reigning champ’s KX
- Grey clutch and ignition covers resist the signs of boot rub to help keep the KX looking fresh
2014 Kawasaki KX100 Specs:
- Engine: Two-stroke single with KIPS
- Displacement: 99cc
- Bore x stroke: 52.5mm x 45.8mm
- Cooling: Liquid
- Carburetion: Keihin PWK38
- Induction: Two-petal reed valve
- Compression ratio: 10.2:1 (low speed) – 8.7:1 (high speed)
- Ignition: Digital CDI
- Transmission: Six-speed
- Final drive: Chain
- Frame: High-tensile steel perimeter design with subframe member
- Rake / trail: 29 degrees / 4.3 in.
- Front suspension / wheel travel: 36mm inverted telescopic cartridge fork with 20-way compression damping / 10.8 in.
- Rear suspension / wheel travel: Uni-Trak single shock system with 24-way compression and 21-way rebound damping plus adjustable spring preload / 10.8 in.
- Front tire: 70/100×19
- Rear tire: 90/100×16
- Front brake / rear brake: Hydraulic disc / Disc
- Overall length: 75.6 in.
- Overall width: 30.1 in.
- Overall height: 43.3 in.
- Ground clearance: 13.0 in.
- Seat height: 34.3 in.
- Curb weight: 169.7 lbs.
- Fuel capacity: 1.32 gal.
- Wheelbase: 51.6 in.
- Color: Lime Green
- MSRP: $TBD