2014 Monster Energy Supercross 250SX Results from Anaheim 2
As the Monster Energy Supercross series celebrated its “40th Anniversary Celebration Race” before nearly 41,000 fans this past weekend at Angel Stadium in Anaheim, Calif., Cole Seely took his first win of 2014.
The Troy Lee Designs/Lucas Oil Honda pilot was joined on the overall podium by Rockstar Energy KTM’s Jason Anderson – who won the opening two rounds – and Yamalube/Star Racing Yamaha’s Cooper Webb.
But due to a penalty for not paying attention to a flag, Anderson’s second place was later dropped to fourth, giving Honda’s Malcolm Stewart the third, and Webb second.
Webb took the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot Award in the Western Regional 250SX race, followed by Seely and Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Dean Wilson.
Seely jumped into the lead after the first corner. Behind, Wilson crashed, re-joining the field in 15th place. This crash allowed Anderson to move into third.
Anderson battled his way to second on the eighth lap, but couldn’t catch Seely. Webb would finish third, followed by Honda’s Malcolm Stewart and Kawasaki’s Justin Hill. This would be the rookie Webb’s first-ever podium finish.
Cole Seely (Troy Lee Designs/Lucas Oil Honda) says: “It was an awesome night for our team. We have done so much testing before and during the season and spent countless hours at the track, so it is nice to have the hard work pay off. I had some breathing room on the last lap, which was nice. We are going to keep the momentum going headed into next week.”
The win was Seely’s fourth in his career, and as the series heads to Oakland’s O.co Coliseum Saturday for round 4, he trails Anderson by three points.
As for Anderson, he was also
For coverage of the 450 SX class, which was won by TwoTwo Motorsports Kawasaki’s Chad Reed, click here.
2014 Anaheim II AMA Supercross 250SX Class Results:
- Cole Seely, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda
- Cooper Webb, Newport, N.C., Yamaha
- Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Honda
- Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.M., KTM
- Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Kawasaki
- Shane McElrath, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda
- Dean Wilson, Wesley Chapel, Fla., Kawasaki
- Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda
- Michael Leib, Menifee, Calif., Honda
- Jessy Nelson, Paso Robles, Calif., Honda
2014 AMA Supercross 250SX Class Season Standings (after 3 of 17 rounds):
- Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.M., KTM, 72
- Cole Seely, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda, 69
- Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda, 53
- Cooper Webb, Newport, N.C., Yamaha, 51
- Dean Wilson, Wesley Chapel, Fla., Kawasaki, 50
- Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Honda, 47
- Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Kawasaki, 44
- Jessy Nelson, Paso Robles, Calif., Honda, 35
- Dean Ferris, Murrieta, Calif., KTM, 31
- Shane McElrath, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda, 29