2013 Yamaha FZ8
When Yamaha released the FZ8 stateside back in 2011, the naked sportbike bridged the gap between the smaller FZ6R and the larger FZ1.
The design was a bit different, though, considering the FZ8 was a true naked sportbike, having no fairings whatsoever (unlike the FZ6R and FZ1).
Except for color changes, the bike remained relatively unchanged. But for 2013, Yamaha has upgraded its FZ8, offering revised fuel injection settings, a more aggressive muffler, and fully adjustable front suspension (compression, rebound and preload) and rear suspension (compression and preload).
The FZ8′s 779cc engine features components directly from the R1 and R6 sportbikes, including ceramic-composite-coated cylinders and forged aluminum pistons, with a "carefully optimized crankshaft to deliver the perfect power curve and torquey performance character for this category."
This engine is combined with an agile chassis that offers sporty handling without sacrificing comfort, the rider in an upright position aboard the FZ8. And the best part of this naked? It’s all offered under $9,000.
Following are the highlights, specs, color option and MSRP for the 2013 Yamaha FZ8.
New for 2013:
- New muffler shape adds to visual appeal.
- Rebound damping adjustable, allowing riders to adjust the FZ8 based on rider and passenger needs.
- Rebound and compression damping adjustable on forks, allowing for adjustments catering to sport touring or urban assault.
- Dual-textured seat material to enhance visual appeal.
- New 779cc liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, inline 4-cylinder, 4-valve engine delivers smooth power delivery and gobs of torque in the low to mid rpm range. But this engine also lets loose with eye-opening horsepower when the revs climb toward redline.
- Fuel-injection with 35mm diameter throttle bodies has optimum intake efficiency and smooth throttle response. Provides precise fuel/air mixtures for awesome power delivery across the rpm range.
- Compact, pent-roof combustion chamber with a high 12.0:1 compression ratio with 26mm intake valves and 22mm exhaust valves contributes both to the superb torque and high-rpm power of this engine.
- Intake funnels for cylinders 2 and 3 are 25mm longer than the two outside cylinders. This tuning trick helps maximize the engine’s punchy torque delivery.
- The FZ8 inherits proven R1/FZ1 technologies, including forged aluminum pistons, fracture split carburized connecting rods, and ceramic-composite-plated cylinders.
- The 68.0mm bore and 53.6mm stroke specifications were carefully chosen to maximize the strong torque characteristics, as was the new crankshaft with optimized inertial mass.
- Wide-ratio 6-speed transmission has ideal ratios for the engine’s performance character.
- 4-into-2-into-1 exhaust system looks great and includes a catalytic converter and O2 sensor. Newly designed muffler is mounted low for great looks and optimal mass centralization.
- Cast aluminum frame uses the engine as a stressed member and allows for optimal rigidity balance, light weight, and superb handling. Six engine-mounting points help provide superb longitudinal rigidity.
- Controlled-Fill die-cast aluminum swing arm saves weight and is tuned for excellent handling.
- 43mm inverted fork and a link-type Monocross shock with adjustable preload for light and neutral handling characteristics.
- 310mm front discs, squeezed by monoblock four-piston calipers, and a single 267mm rear disc offer strong stopping power.
- Aggressive chassis geometry with supersport-inspired 51 percent front wheel weight bias. Provides light, nimble handling.
- The generous 4.5 gallon fuel tank, is short front to back, and slender where it meets the rider. The foot pegs and handlebars are also placed for a compact, rider-forward riding position that contributes to the bike’s excellent handling.
- 5-spoke cast aluminum wheels contribute to the light and neutral handling character. This bike sports a 120/70 ZR17 radial tire up front, and a 180/55-ZR17 rear radial to complete the look and serve up the traction.
- "Mass-forward" naked bike styling is accentuated by the headlight design.
- FZ1-style instrument cluster features a great looking tachometer with a white face.
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Specs:
- Engine: 779cc liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder; DOHC 16 valves
- Bore x Stroke: 68.0 x 53.6mm
- Compression Ratio: 12.0:1
- Fuel System: Fuel Injection
- Ignition: Digital TCI, Transistor Controlled Ignition w/32-bit ECU
- Transmission: 6-speed; multiplate wet clutch
- Final Drive: O-ring chain
- Rear Suspension: Single shock; adjustable preload and rebound damping.
- Front Suspension: Telescopic fork; adjustable compression and rebound damping.
- Rear Wheel Travel: 5.1 in.
- Front Wheel Travel: 5.1 in.
- Front Brakes: Dual 310mm hydraulic disc
- Rear Brake: Single 267mm disc
- Front Tire: 120/70-ZR17M/C 58W
- Rear Tire: 180/55-ZR17M/C 73W
- Length: 84.3 in.
- Width: 30.3 in.
- Height: 41.9 in.
- Seat Height: 32.1 in.
- Ground Clearance: 5.5 in.
- Wheelbase: 57.5 in.
- Rake: 25.0 degrees
- Trail: 4.3 in.
- Fuel Capacity: 4.5 gal.
- Estimated Fuel Economy: 39 mpg
- Wet Weight: 467 lbs.
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Color Option/MSRP:
- Matte Gray/Matte Black / $8,890